Small hole in tyre

JonS123
JonS123 Posts: 171
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Last night managed to ride over a load of smashed glass, which due to heavy rain I did'nt see, and as a result a bit has given me a P***** and left a small 1mm gash just off the top of my tyre. This has cut the wire pile?? which has left a small bit of wire to poke into the innertube.

Could I get away with puting some form of patch between the tyre and tube? Googling suggests some people go for this while others say a small cut will turn into a big cut.

Tyre is a Schwalbe Kojak (totaly slick) and I run them at 115psi. Kinda hoping I can patch it till payday

Comments

• Tyre sounds like a write-off :-(
    You can patch it and just run with it and see how it goes, but holes only ever get bigger.
    If when you patch it and inflate it to 115psi, you may see the tyre bulge where the tyre carcass is damaged, this could lead to instant defaltion and a big bang! I'd put it on the rear wheel where it's less likely to cause loss of control when (not if) it goes.

I run my fixed until the rear tyre has the threads showing and have had to ride home on a flat more than once, suprisingly hard work and noisy and slow and runs the risk of damaging the rim.

All said and done,1mm doesn't sound that bad, good luck.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • 1mm? Not a prob. consider a bit of superglue in the hole, if only to discourage grit from getting picked up.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    My gut instinct was to put a slim patch inside the tyre, and some rubber cement or other glue in the small hole on the outside. I am not that bothered about the outside hole as the tyers have a few small cuts, but nowt has ever got past the wire stuff before, and Im not sure what sort of load they can take when there is a hole.

Some new tyers are due anyway so kinda hoping I can make these last to payday
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You need a tyre boot. Inner tube patches are designed to stretch like the inner tube, so they are not really ideal for constraining the tube in this situation. What you are looking for is something that is flexible but not very stretchy.

I usually cut up an old toothpaste tube to make tyre boots. Free, easy and keeps your tyres minty fresh.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}