Is Boris a genius?

snooks
snooks Posts: 1,521
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Boris, there he is setting up a new transport system which adopts his name instantly. All he has to do is wait calmly for Bob Crow to call a strike. So he gets his new transport system in place and waits for an England game, which strikes usually coincide with.

And Bob's your father of all strikes, tube workers walk out and everyone resorts to either:
Walking around this great city, finding new places on the way
Staying in town for a drink, improving cashflow for retail businesses
Cycle using their own bikes realising it's not that hard after all
Use his bikes.

Not only that, but he's also raked in a load of money from the congestion charge for all the cars blocking yesterday's roads.

All the car drivers are sitting there thinking "there must be another way to get to work" all the time us cyclist flow by like never before, and may be, just may be a lightbulb will flicker in their heads that they too could get a bike and get fit.

Not bad, for a days work
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

Comments

• :lol:

I like it Snooks. That was the thought idly rattling through my head as I cycled in this morning - I ended up back on a bike after the bombings because Liverpool Street kept being evacuated, and I had to get the bus. Sitting on the top deck, I saw loads of cyclists zipping past and thought 'damn, that's a good idea'...

I wonder how many people have realised it's a pretty damn good way to get to work. :D
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Is Boris a genius? Yes, but he hides it well.

Top marks to the bloke.
  • still bare amounts of cyclists around this morning, so maybe it has converted some souls?
  • my friend just admitted he has cycled in on a hire bike again today! So we almost have at least one convert.

Plus, I am leaving my bike with him when I move to Barcelona next week. He had maintained he would only use it for leisure purposes but i'm doing my best now to persuade him to see the light...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    You wouldn't have thought his comments about the Blitz were 'genius' on Monday night.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    CiB wrote:
    Is Boris a genius? Yes, but he hides it well.

But therein lies his genius.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Boris is the typical eccentric genius, very clever but comes accross as a bumbling idiot. I have nothing but respect for him and hope one day he's Prime Minister.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Boris didn't actually think up the scheme it was already rolling when he took office.

Man is total media slag and a buffoon.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    saltski wrote:
    Boris is the typical eccentric genius, very clever but comes accross as a bumbling idiot. I have nothing but respect for him and hope one day he's Prime Minister.

Are you a Conservative central office social media intern - trawl the t'interweb for opportunities then sign up to write such puffery??

Only joking.......welcome!......although thinking about it!.....
  • But will he stand again? I think there will be a number of heated debates between our Boris and Conservative Central Office. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which side of the political fence you sit. All the best ideas he has been won around to are left wing originals.
  • But will he stand again? I think there will be a number of heated debates between our Boris and Conservative Central Office. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which side of the political fence you sit. All the best ideas he has been won around to are left wing originals.
  • Ooooh first post and three for the price of one. Another Boris initiative?
  • Bilboben wrote:
    Ooooh first post and three for the price of one. Another Boris initiative?

:) one's got a flat, chains come off the second and the seatpost is too low on the 3rd...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • LOL I haven't ridden one yet but they look heavy monsters. Have got my access key but as yet remains unused. Had fun in Paris on their ones last year I think they will be at their best when the tourists can use them.
  • PBo
    Bilboben wrote:
    LOL I haven't ridden one yet but they look heavy monsters. Have got my access key but as yet remains unused. Had fun in Paris on their ones last year I think there will be utter carnage when the tourists can use them.

FTFY!!!!
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Boris didn't actually think up the scheme it was already rolling when he took office.

Yes, he's clearly a buffoon. Only a raving buffoon could graduate from Oxford, edit the Spectator, become a successful journalist and author, oh and get elected Mayor. Like him or hate him, calling him a buffoon is ridiculous.
  • He plays the buffoon extremely well. Oh and PBo thanks for the warm welcome x
  • PBo
    Bilboben wrote:
    He plays the buffoon extremely well. Oh and PBo thanks for the warm welcome x

no probs!

(you did know what FTFY meant, and didn't take it the wrong way - can't quite tell whether your post is humorous or sarcastic! - the internets eh?)
  • PBo
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Yes, he's clearly a buffoon. Only a raving buffoon could graduate from Oxford, edit the Spectator, become a successful journalist and author, oh and get elected Mayor. Like him or hate him, calling him a buffoon is ridiculous.

Buffoon can mean foolish, but most definitions are about being a joker, acting the clown, odd behaviour etc.

So he is a buffoon - but calling him that probably isn't as insulting as most users of the word intend it to be.
  • PBo wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Buffoon can mean foolish, but most definitions are about being a joker, acting the clown, odd behaviour etc.

So he is a buffoon - but calling him that probably isn't as insulting as most users of the word intend it to be.

Quite - he's a likeable character who plays the buffoon rather well, but there's no doubting his intelligence.

The intelligence of those who use the word and mean 'idiot', on the other hand...
  • :)
  • His buffoonery skills are second to none and he plays off them. Knows his shit though, he ain't stupid.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I don't think it is at all. Please read Pbo's post and see the context it was meant in.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    saltski wrote:
    Boris is the typical eccentric genius, very clever but comes accross as a bumbling idiot. I have nothing but respect for him and hope one day he's Prime Minister.

nice try Borris :lol:
  • I think one way they may get more drivers out of their cars would be signs along CS7, which may have already been in place, giving you the approximate riding times to various central London locales. May that way drivers will realize it was 10 minutes since they read the last sign but the time has only gone down 2 minutes on the sign!

Something along the lines of "20 minutes to Stockwell" when in Balham may drill the point home to drivers.........

As for Boris I was just thinking earlier today how everyone refers to them as Boris Bikes when it's the Barclay's hire scheme :-) Yesterday was apparently the busiest day of the scheme so far with 24,500 journeys made! If you keep it simple and assume they are used for the commute to and from the office (exclude short hops around town) that's potentially about 12,000 people not walking or on the bus which must be a good thing :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Boris may/maynot be a buffoon or a genius but i do find him hugely entretaining :lol::lol:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Mmm, this doesn't look particularly genius:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mindthegap/2 ... taken.html
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    prj45 wrote:
    Mmm, this doesn't look particularly genius:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mindthegap/2 ... taken.html

Isn't that Serco, underestimating the popularity of BBs, and not Boris per se
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    saltski wrote:

I can't imagine a more horrific vision. BG is a train-jumper, plain and simple - Boris Bikes were actually Ken Livingstone's idea; similarly the Olympics were won under KL's watch but Boris has claimed the glory. Will he be as willing to take the blame if they turn out to be a colossal white elephant which loses us pots of money? I have horrible visions of a Dome Mk2 <<shudder>>

It's just a hill. Get over it.