replacement back wheel for tri singlecross/genesis day one

bmca2010
bmca2010 Posts: 54
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
both bikes come with a Alex ACE-19, anyone any links to where you can purcahse a replacement complete wheel?

Comments

• any suggestions of an alternative would also be greatly appreciated, ideally a rim that can take a 38mm tyre
  • For the miles you are knocking out, the best hub you can afford man!
    I built my wheels on the pompino around Miche Primato hubs and have regretted it ever since as they arent that weather proof and spares are impossible to come by. To change my hubs means getting complete new wheels basically.

Whats the spacing on the rear of those bikes? 135mm?
    Chris King single speed?
    Hope Pro 2 (Annoyingly comes as disc specific)

At the other end of the spectrum you could argue that because of the miles you are knocking out you should maybe get something dirt cheap like the On-One flip flop hub as you can change the bearings in it in 5 minutes and thus may prove just as good for you.

As for rims, I am a mavic Open Pro Fan, but they only recommend up to 28c tires.

Are you getting another new machine?
    If you get that wee day one (The orange one from bikedock?) dont forget to change the front chainring, its small for CX duties.
  • Hang on though, You wont want it to be a singlespeed wheel only will you? You'll want a flip flop? In which case both those hubs above are useless to you.

:oops:
  • If you are banging out the miles, and in poor weather, then I'd suggest investing in a decent custom rear wheel.

Custom hub: something with decent bearings and at least 32hole.
    Rim: all standard road rims should work fine with 38mm tyres. (I used to use MA40 road rims with 2" tyres fine). I'm a Mavic person, although I'm sure other rims are decent too.
    Use proper DB SS spokes and brass nipples, and build properly.
    Your rear wheel is the most important part of a FGSS bike.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I opted for an Halo Aerorage to cure a problem with the freewheel, £85 I need not spending. The only criticism of the wheel is that the rim leaves bits of itself in the brake blocks in the rain.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Are you getting another new machine?
    If you get that wee day one (The orange one from bikedock?) dont forget to change the front chainring, its small for CX duties.

na no plans to atm, would like to get one some time tho, but the singlecross is sweet. did u get the PM?
  • Just noticed that, replied.

BTW
    Goldtec hub in 130mm - DT Swiss Comp spokes - Mavic open Pro rim

:wink: