Anyone "done" Iceland?

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Planning my 2011 summer holidays already. Would like to sail to Iceland, ride the ring road to Reykjavik (10 days), meet up with wife and son there, have a week with them then do the last section of the ring road to Seydisfjordor (ferry terminal) and sail home.

I realise the ferry route is tortuous but I hate all the p1ssing about with planes, bikes on planes, blah.

I would be riding a "light" tourer with drops, double chainset, and rack/panniers for tent etc.

Any recommendations for places to stay? Any warnings?

Ta

Comments

• JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    We have done three tours in Iceland and can highly recommend it.

Unfortunately the ferry no longer goes from Scotland to Iceland, so the only alternative is the long way around via ferries to Denmark.

Personally I think there is more to Iceland than the ring road, it is the main road around the iceland and it can get very busy in summer. So a small foray into the interior albeit on gravel roads is worth it for some fantastic and different scenery than that which you will see from the ring road.

Day time temperatures in summer usually average around 4C - 16C so be prepared for that.

There is more information on cycling in Iceland on our website along with some of our travelogues.

Enjoy your tour.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Beware of gravel roads! Not all of the ring road is tarmac particularly around the east. I'm not sure that a light tourer would be up to the task. There is a road sign for "no more tarmac"

4969122228_7fb7e55ff0.jpg
  • This joural should give you some idea of what it's like...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... ontext=all
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    I thought they "did" us!