Price = Skill

lopzag
lopzag Posts: 22
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I've been wondering, should the price or performance of your bike match your skill level? Or is it totally irrelevant?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Irrelevant. Next question.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • yes, that's helpful
  • Yes it should
  • Yes it should
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Ride what you want it's your money. If you don't have the skill the bike could help you get away with some errors.
  • Yes it should
  • Yes it should
    Yes it should
    Yes it should

Sorry, it's not entirely clear. Do you think it should or not?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    lopzag wrote:
    yes, that's helpful

You asked if its irrelevant, he said it was and it is.

Lets move on.
  • In my opinion the only time price should have any effect on what you're buying is if it's likely your SO will see the receipt.
  • read the sig..
  • Best to buy the best you can afford that suits you and what you are going to do with it I would say.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    read the sig..
    What he said..
    if you dont look all gucci and whatnot, there is no way you can be any good at bike riding.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Definitely, buying a stupidly expensive bike is a good way to start the sport. I'm hoping the skill will come naturally later.

I see from your past posts you're riding on a Charge with Marzocchis, I couldn't help but notice my bike is considerably more expensive than yours. Good luck.
  • couldn't be more irrelevant, as long as you enjoy it.

Personally i find it hard to get out and ride, but i like tinkering with setup and performance hence spend a lot.
  • Doink
    Doink Posts: 25
    I can say from experience that a stupidly expensive bike can help you enjoy the ride without possessing the skill to go with it..!
  • lopzag wrote:
    I've been wondering, should the price or performance of your bike match your skill level? Or is it totally irrelevant?

Does it bug you that people have better bikes than you? People that can't even execute a boomra skid on their paper round like you?
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    always thought it was more to do with size of wallet

i have a mate, well no lets call him a random person i know, who drives a 10 plate convertabile aston martin.

hes a bit of a twat and has to get his mrs to park for him :shock:

its a bit like getting a trek remedy and fitting a shopping basket
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    mak3m wrote:
    always thought it was more to do with size of wallet
    its a bit like getting a trek remedy and fitting a shopping basket

It can be done :D

I used to have the most expensive bicycle in my street. :mrgreen:
    It was a fully rigid cr-mo frame with full Deore LX, with cantilever brakes, back in '94. It was a 20inch frame and it had a bottle holder mounted on the bottom of the seat tube, so I found out that a 1L bottle of red wine could fit both the bottle holder and the frame :twisted: My father, my grandfother and my oncle were working a couple of miles away, at my grandfather's cornfield, and it was a very hot afternoon. So I used what was, at the time, a race-ready machine, to take them a bottle of wine. They're all very thirsty, so I guess they thought the money spent on my expensive bike was put to good use :mrgreen:

Expensive bikes can offer more than just good performance... Besides, if you have the money, why shouldn't you buy whatever you want :?:
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    pffft

buy whatever you can afford and go ride it

when i was a student my first two mountain bikes were ratty BSOs built for next to nothing from car boot sales and police auctions but i loved them and had great fun riding them probably beyond their limits

now im lucky enough to have a fair disposable income and my bikes are reasonably expensive and effective bits of kit (still by no means boutique though - also having an archery obsession with decent recurve setups there running 1000 quid or so a time seesto that)

do i have more fun or seem to have developed more skill proportional to the amount more my current bikes cost ? nah but who cares - its only a hobby innit ?

slainte :arrow: rob
  • having gone from a BSO to an alrightly specced bike now, yes the better bike can compensate for a skill absence, as im faster through the only technical sections at thetford than my freind who was at the time still riding a BSO

so yes a better bike will make up for less skills

but id much rather ride a pooey bike and have an amazing fun time, than ride an amazing bike and not enjoy it atall.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    As far as im concerned it doesnt matter what u ride aslong u enjoy urself and have a good time, if u can afford a decent bike though why not if u get pleasure and enjoyment from it.

My new bike is far more capable than i'll ever be but i have such a laugh riding it and at the end of the day thats what its all about.
  • I dont think it really matters unless you strongly believe your bike is holding you back. One bike doesnt usually fit all riding styles and disciplines. For example I'd be happier riding a black run downhill on full suss but prefer an HT to ride the South Downs Way.

Depends on how much you can afford to spend. We'd all like to ride the top of range Whytes etc.

Last week at GT, on a tired hire bike with Suntour forks and cable discs I flew past 1000s pounds worth of kit and clothing pushing their bikes up the long logging track climb up to Spooky Wood :wink:
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • lopzag wrote:

only in terms of racing, where the more you spend the lighter you get....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    irrelevant, move on.

But if it was the case, i should have a much better bike.

:wink:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I like people who can afford nice bikes i get to look at them and talk about them then, and if i mince the guy on the nice bike that rocks even more.
    IMO it matters little and if the guy is nice i may get to have a spin on it hehe
  • Anonymous
    i like that the people with the cheapest bikes are the best riders
  • Anonymous
    Until they get expensive bikes, of course.
  • Anonymous
    Until they get expensive bikes, of course.

exactly right, at that point they start feeding off each other
  • the best riders can ride anything and make it all look laughably effortless, leaving the rest of us to ponder how best to compensate for an innate lack of ability