Autumn Epic 3rd October

HI

Has anyone done this, and are you familiar with climbs like the Rhigos and the Bwlch plus Caerphilly mountain in South Wales.

How do they compare with say Abbey-Cwm-Hir so i dont have to die half way up lol

Cheers

Kev
We are an online travel agency.

Specialized Sirrus (converting to road bars) - Honda Fireblade.

Comments

• they don't, the nearest climb you get to those is the climb out of Radnor up the Elan Valley, houses is a short steep brutal bastard, abby cym hir is a grind and I forget teh name of the last big brutal bastard but a lot get off and walk that!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Yes the route lacks any real feature climbs but makes up for it with a lot of smaller ones and some exceptional cycling roads especially around the Elan Valley. I've done it twice and if I could talk any clubmates into doing it I'd do it again.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Cheers everyone that is much appreciated, i like to train hard and fight easy, so its good to know that there are no real nasty surprises.

Going to do a 70 tomorrow as run to try out a carb routine.

Kev

• Cheers everyone that is much appreciated, i like to train hard and fight easy, so its good to know that there are no real nasty surprises.

Going to do a 70 tomorrow as a run to try out a carb routine.

Kev

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    they don't, the nearest climb you get to those is the climb out of Radnor up the Elan Valley, houses is a short steep brutal bastard, abby cym hir is a grind and I forget teh name of the last big brutal bastard but a lot get off and walk that!

Glascwm Pike is the name but don't forget the next one up from Newchurch, shortly after Glascwm. :oops:
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    they don't, the nearest climb you get to those is the climb out of Radnor up the Elan Valley, houses is a short steep brutal bastard, abby cym hir is a grind and I forget teh name of the last big brutal bastard but a lot get off and walk that!

Glascwm Pike is the name but don't forget the next one up from Newchurch, shortly after Glascwm. :oops:

I've done it twice. Walked the same bit of hill twice (at about 65 miles?). Went up at about the same speed as those cycling it.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    cakewalk wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I've done it twice. Walked the same bit of hill twice (at about 65 miles?). Went up at about the same speed as those cycling it.

Is that where the walk in cakewalk comes from? You should make it an aim to ride it next time.
  • Ron Stuart wrote:
    cakewalk wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Is that where the walk in cakewalk comes from? You should make it an aim to ride it next time.

'cakewalk' is an american phrase for something else I'm afraid.

I do aim to cycle it this time ...
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • The final climb and descent to the finish is a good one - the first time I did it I had a look at the watch and was borderline for the gold standard so hammered it - felt really good to be flying down towards the finish. Last time I did it I missed the turn on the mountain road and ended up doing about 12 miles down the wrong valley and up the other side - had to ask at a farmhouse where I was and then retrace all the way back up the valley - I was about last on the road after that and it was quite good coming through the feed stations and chatting with a few stragglers.

Also meant I had time to stop and look at the water cascading over the dams - there had been very heavy rain that morning and it was spectacular.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • It's a great route.
    I've done quite a few sportives and it's one of my favourites.
    There's a few really hard steep climbs but if you are used to cycling in Wales then you should be fine, just get your gearing right.
    Round the Elan Valley is superb.
    I'd say mix up your training to include some long climbs and the steepest ones you can find round your area as the route is a good mix.
    Can't do it this year, may do the Bristol Belter instead.
    Stayed in a really nice b+b last year - if you want details I'll try to find them.
    Enjoy and fingers crossed for the weather.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • When you say Caerphilly mountain, which bit do you mean? Machen area by chance?
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • cheaperholidays
    cheaperholidays Posts: 151
    edited September 2010
    When you say Caerphilly mountain, which bit do you mean? Machen area by chance?

I came up from Cardiff END past the crematorium, vicious beast it is, that last bit is especially nasty, mind you its 13 miles from my house as i come through Rhiwbina.

Did a 60 today to try out the gels carb drinks, went over the Bwlch from Church village via pontypridd to port talbot and back via Margam park , Bridgend, Pencoed, llantrisant to church village.

I consumed a gel every hour plus plenty of fluids took me 4 hours of hard pushing... Plus bloody traffic lights- on a straight run this would have been 3.30

• JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    From recollection and my local knowledge key climbs will be , from route published....

Knighton up to Gwernaffel climb 150m over c 2.5 km with a sharp bit at start

some rolling / lumpy bits from Llangunnllo to base Abbeycwmhir, not to be underestimated!!

Abbeycwmhir climb 180 m <1.5 km climb, steep continually

Rhayader Mtn road 250m 3 km approx
    climb

Rhigos climb 100m <1km (not forgetting either drag up from Newbridge....)

Glascwm pitch climb 100m <1km

Newchurch > Gladestry 100m climb , 1.2 km

Presteigne back to Knighton if via Norton 120m in 2km, but nasty 11% section at base

ENJOY!!! :):) and dont underestimate bumpy linking sections either
  • Thanks everyone will be hitting the reverse routes up the Bwlch coming up from Church village to Port Talbot over the top and back, not thats a nasty climb..

But should i stop riding a week before or just do a few 20 mile bimbles

• jackfeeder wrote:
    Stayed in a really nice b+b last year - if you want details I'll try to find them.
    Enjoy and fingers crossed for the weather.

Thanks Jackfeeder

• bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    "But should i stop riding a week before or just do a few 20 mile bimbles "

don't stop riding in the week before, just reduce the amount of miles, I would have 2 days rest before the actual ride though..
    The Autumn Epic is run over a great course - done it 3 times now and I love it.. If I had more cash at the mo I would definitely do it again... Try and stay in a group for the descent of the Elan Valley - you can make a lot of time up in a good group from there all the way to Hundred House feed zone...
    hope the weather holds up and that you have a great day - I'm sure you will :)
  • Here we go - http://www.stayinwales.co.uk/detail.cfm?i=6130
    One of the nicest places I have ever stayed. The owners couldn't do enough for us, there was 4 of us from various parts of the UK staying there all doing the Epic. Bikes locked up securely, home made evening meal, cakes - excellent.
    I'll hopefully be back next year - doing the Bristol Belter instead this time.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi,

Did the Epic last year and cant praise it highly enough

I also rode the grand fondo at the Dragon ride this year and i must say theres not alot to choose between them as there equally as good a ride as each other

The Dragon has longer climbs such as the Bwlch and as someone said the Epic hasnt got such signature climbs as this but it makes up in other areas such as quieter roads and less riders and a more friendly atmosphere, the chilli at the finish is awesome

The climb up Elan valley is fantastic and the scenery is spectacular

However dont underestimate the two shortish 25% climbs and the final climb at about 5 miles from the finish as although not stupidly steep it feels horrible as your legs will be shot by then. the final decent to the finish is flat out big ring stuff, touched over 50mph last year

I will be there this year again and bringing five team mates along as i rate this alot

The training yourve been doing it spot on, if you can tackle the Bwlch easy enough then the Epic will be no problem, hope to see you there
  • cheaperholidays
    cheaperholidays Posts: 151
    edited September 2010
    Hi Friso

THanks for the heads up, but as far as training goes:

I have been doing a 60 over the bwlch from both ends - followed by a 30 then a rest day then a long ride or should i do one long ride a week with a few 30 milers thrown in.

My 30 milers include the Rhigos and or the bwlch or just a flat run to margam park and back.

Also on the 50 mile food stop do you reccomend eating a few sandwiches or just stop and go and what are the best things to eat to keep you going..

The gels are ok but after 4 hours or so you get that empty feeling in your stomach.. Great for weight loss though lol

• There are four routes up Caerphilly mountain that I know (there is I think one more). Thornhill which you describe, up from Nantgarw, up from Caerphilly past the police station and up through the Warren which brings you out almost opposite the Ridgeway golf range. Up from Nantgarw is the easiest, then Thornhill followed by the Warren and lastly the hill up from Caerphilly past the Steak Shack just keeps giving and is the most strenuous. All of them give +45mph descents and riding all four is a good hill session.
  • There are four routes up Caerphilly mountain that I know (there is I think one more). Thornhill which you describe, up from Nantgarw, up from Caerphilly past the police station and up through the Warren which brings you out almost opposite the Ridgeway golf range. Up from Nantgarw is the easiest, then Thornhill followed by the Warren and lastly the hill up from Caerphilly past the Steak Shack just keeps giving and is the most strenuous. All of them give +45mph descents and riding all four is a good hill session.
  • Thanks Mooks much appreciated..

What i intend to do is bit of hill work and then this Church village - swansea - neath - aberdare- Church village its about 80 miles.

My plan is to drop in food stops, where on my 60 mile runs its just gels and nunn in the camel back..

• friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi

The training you are doing is spot on for the Epic, i am old fashioned and would recommend riding as much as convenient but not killing yourself the week before the event, just one long ride about seven days prior should do fine

There is nothing like the Bwlch on the Epic, Elan valley is the closest to it but even that is a fraction of the climb that the Bwlch is so you will be fine. There is a couple of very steep 25% climbs, how you tackle these will depend on how you feel on the day. If you know where they are try riding steady a few miles before so you reach them feeling fresh with a low heart rate

Gels are great but after a while that sickly sticky feeling gets to you. Although the gels are necessary i would also pack something savoury for towards the end

As to the feed stops it depends on how you feel, however i would not stop for too long there at the first one, grab a banana and refil you bottles and get back on asap as its not to far into the ride and is situated at the very bottom of the climb up Elan Valley so better off starting the climb with warm legs,

I hope you have a great ride, i will be with the guys in the Streetlife / EST black and red kit
  • Thanks Friso

I will be wearing a canary yellow long sleeve top and carrying a copy of the times, this is like a blind date lol :D

I think i will carry on of my running jackets just in case, and wear my waterpoof seal skin socks, Shorts should be Ok