Saddle Sore!!

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

Took delivery last week of a Specialized Secteur Elite to replace my ageing but still reliable Mercian Audax (bought in 1996).

The Elite comes with one of the Specialized "Body-geometry" saddles - the Rival 143. Did a couple of short runs to start with and found no obvious problems. However completed 25 miles today over some varied roads and was quite uncomfortable in the derrier at the end of it. I'm not sure if these gel based saddles have a running-in period but I am concerned that the discomfort will persist.

My Mercian has a Rolls San Marco which I have ridden for 14 years so it's pretty well worn in. At the same time it is looking a little rough around the edges and I would rather leave it on the Mercian to preserve its integrity when I sell it.

I know these things are very subjective but any thoughts on a better saddle than the Rival 143 would be appreciated. I am 6ft tall and weigh 90kg (hoping to reduce that over time) so I need a decent perch to allow me some good mileage without the discomfort.

Looked at the new version of the San Marco (by Selle Italia) and also the Specialized Avatar gel but am not sure whether to stick with a leather crafted saddle or chance another gel based option.

Any thoughts welcomed

Comments

• JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    First thing to say is everyone will give you different advice as all saddles are so subjective....

Personally I like the specialized saddles and use the alais 143 on my training bike and the romin 143 on my race bikes. I ride sportives on both 100+ miles in comfort and also have done 10 and 24hr mtb races on the romin.

I also have a fizik airone which I find comfy.................

Clear as mud hey?

With the spec saddles though they do come in different widths, is it worth getting measured and see if you have the right width for u.