Trek FX v Giant Rapid v Giant Defy

laughingontheinside
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all, a newbie here looking for some buying advice. Anyone ride any of the above bikes and have feedback on their pros and cons. I'm looking for something that can take a full set of mudguards and is a little more hard wearing than a out and out race bike i.e. plenty of frame clearance for mudguards and larger tyres.
Thaks for any replies.

Comments

• waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I have a Giant Rapid 1 and have already convinced two other members to get Rapids too!

The Giant Rapids will take the full length guards ("fenders") Giant make for the Defy range. Not sure what you want in the way of larger tyres, I'm happy with the 25s that came on mine and haven't looked at clearance for anything bigger.

In terms of being more hard wearing, the Rapid is essentially a Giant Defy road bike with a flat bar and altered geometry to make the flat bar work. Road bikes are harder wearing than people tend to give them credit for and the Rapid/Defy (and probably the Trek too) will take pretty much anything you throw at them as long as you'e not planning on using them for mountain biking.

Not sure from your post what your riding style/requirements are, but I am proper happy with my Rapid.
    Rules are for fools.
  • I have a Defy and suspect that it will not meet your requirements. A friend has one too and, in order to fit Crud Racer 'guards, he had to change the original 25mm to 23mm. If you want clearance for bigger tyres and guards, it won't fit the bill, I'm afraid.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with mine though I know a couple of people with them that have had wheel problems (loose and snapped spokes) though Giant has sorted them out in both cases.

HTH,

_
  • I have a Trek 7.5 FX and has so far it has been brilliant. Comes with 32mm as standard and I have fitted a full set of bontrager mudguards to it.

The mudguards are quick release so I can whip them off easily. Tool free release front mudguard and the rear is a single allen key bolt.

Photo0200.jpg
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • I have a 2009 Defy 1.

23mm tyres essential with mudguards - I have the Giant Defy specific mudguards.
    Using 23mm didn't bother me in winter.
    Can fit a rack with a bit of difficulty -depends on the rack fittings - the brakes get in the way. I have a Topeak lightweight rack fitted to mine.
    In 7000 miles I have had one broken spoke (CXP22 rim wheels). It was easy to repair. Spokes did tend to come loose. I look after the spoke tension myself and its not been a problem.

I like the fairly upright position.
    Its always been a bit of a creaky bike.
    Would I buy another one? I would consider it but I think the Trek Pilot and Specialized Secteur are pretty similar bikes. I believe the Trek Pilot has more room for mudguards, don't know much about the Secteur.
  • Thanks for all the replies. Really like the look of Wizzlebangers Trek. It looks to be just what I'm after. Thanks again.
  • I ride a Rapid 3 and it is fatter than my aunties balls. Fast, feels strong as a buffalo and offers a comfortable riding position. Only done up to 60 miles at a time so far but now considering training for a 186 mile ride on it next June.

Mud guards? Pass. Haven't got them yet - I just get a lovely pebbledash line up me back.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • I've got the trek 7.5 and although I've only really ridden mtb's before I love this bike. So light and fast!! I struggled to get mudguards for it at the shop I bought it - but I think that was simply down to poor staff knowledge - I'd be really interested to know what model of mudgurads Wizzlebanger bought as I reckon I'll get them for the winter if they fit the frame and the tyre that came with the bike.
  • wizzlebanger

What mud guards are they you've got fitted? I struggled to find some that I'm confident that they fit properly and aren't too fiddly to fit!

Col
  • They are ;

Bontrager Interchange Nebula Mudguard 700x45 (28-37mm)

However, I did have trouble tracking them down on the internet and eventually managed to find them on primera-sports. I think they are a slightly older Bontrager model.

They are a cracking fit on my 7.5fx. The rear is a doddle but I had to improvise a little with the front as the bolt supplied isn't long enough to go through the fork as the instructions suggest. However, I had spare bolts in the bag and the quick release mechanism for the front mudguard was secured from the back of the fork. Basically, ignore the instructions and go with your head!

The adjustable mudguard arms are great for getting a good fit. No cutting of stays required here!

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • Update : Now that they are fitted I haven't had a problem with them. A slight adjustment on the front but that's it.

I can take them off and whip them back on in under a minute. Probably took me 30 minutes to fit both originally. As they are a full guard they keep you and just as important in my mind your bike free from crap during the wet.

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • They are ;

Bontrager Interchange Nebula Mudguard 700x45 (28-37mm)

However, I did have trouble tracking them down on the internet and eventually managed to find them on primera-sports. I think they are a slightly older Bontrager model.

They are a cracking fit on my 7.5fx. The rear is a doddle but I had to improvise a little with the front as the bolt supplied isn't long enough to go through the fork as the instructions suggest. However, I had spare bolts in the bag and the quick release mechanism for the front mudguard was secured from the back of the fork. Basically, ignore the instructions and go with your head!

The adjustable mudguard arms are great for getting a good fit. No cutting of stays required here!

Brilliant - I'll see if I an track them donw, and then fit them...I'm not the most patient or inventive bike tinkerer (a real word, I didn't make it up honest!)
  • I have a defy 2.5 for my London commute. It takes the Giant dedicated mudguards and has the screw holes to fit a rack. The 25mm tyres are apparantly slightly more comfortable than 23mm but I can't comment. I've now had the bike for over 4000 miles and have been pretty happy, the only issue being that the rear mudguard has just fallen to pieces after I refitted it for this winter