Rules around quitting a race

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone know what the rules around quitting a race and then competing in other races are?

I seem to remember if you're signed up for a stage race and you drop out, you can't take part in anything until that race ends. Or can you request permission?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I thought the latter.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's at the discretion of the organisers of the race you pulled out of.

Edit: Here we go...

2.6.026 A rider dropping out of the race may not compete in any other cycling events for the duration of the stage race that he abandoned, on pain of a 15 day suspension and a fine of 200 to 1000 Swiss francs.

For major tours, the event directors and the commissaires panel jointly may, however, grant exceptions at the request of a rider and with the agreement of his team manager.
  • Not sure how it works but i'd hope that if you just pulled out because you were tired or couldn't be bothered to finish then you shouldn't be able to race again during that period...but if you crash or are ill and withdraw but are ready to race again in a week then I think it would be fair to be allowed to race again. As I said though, purely my opinion.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    edited September 2010
    Drop-out
    2.6.026 A rider dropping out of the race may not compete in any other cycling events for the duration of the
    stage race that he abandoned, on pain of a 15 day suspension and a fine of 200 to 1000 Swiss
    francs.
    For major tours, the event directors and the commissaires panel jointly may, however, grant exceptions
    at the request of a rider and with the agreement of his team manager.

EDIT Too slow and AFX beat me to it!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cool - Cheers Afx.

Reason I asked was JLA tweeted he was racing again tomorrow.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Sounds fair as I believe JLA was part of the Sky Sychronised Spewing Team.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:

If I was Sky I'm not sure I'd be going to the UCI asking for special permission for riders to race again after just pulling a whole team from a race following a tragic death.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    calvjones wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

If I was Sky I'm not sure I'd be going to the UCI asking for special permission for riders to race again after just pulling a whole team from a race following a tragic death.

Why not? They pulled the team so they could attend the funeral so as long as that has taken place there isn't an issue. Also it is the Vuelta organiser who will have to give permission not the UCI.
  • Also, Sky got a podium clean sweep in the National Time Trial championships on Sunday.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Also, Sky got a podium clean sweep in the National Time Trial championships on Sunday.

Not with anyone who was at the Vuelta though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Pross wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Why not? They pulled the team so they could attend the funeral so as long as that has taken place there isn't an issue. Also it is the Vuelta organiser who will have to give permission not the UCI.

As my post implies this is a personal view. I'm just not sure its, um proper. to be asking special permission for a rider who was part of the Vuelta team (albeit gone with a stomach virus before the tragedy) when Sky (rightly) didn't fulfil their Vuelta commitments.

YMMV of course but just seems a bit inappropriate. And its not even as if JLA is going to win feck all anyway is it?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Grote Prijs Jef Scherens, Sunday 2010-09-05
    Sports director Dan Hunt
    "We only started with five guys here, and two of those were Ben Swift and John-Lee Augustyn, who had been forced to pull out of the Vuelta a España last week through illness.
    We lost Swifty after five laps, and John-Lee wasn't quite race fit, so that meant we only had three guys who were really competing against other teams of eight."

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 13,00.html
    interview.cyclingfever.com