mountain biking in Hawaii

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I'm going to Hawaii (Kauai) for my Honeymoon next month, I know the trails are meant to be amazing but I was wondering if anyone had been and had any tips for the best place to get a bike etc. Might be quite a busy trip but i have to go mountain biking whilst i'm there, it'd be rude not to!

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I am jealous :evil:

Went to Kuaui about 20 years ago and it was just marvellous... but I've not tried biking there. It's pretty small - so I'd guess you won't have much choice, and as most of the population is in Lihue and Wailua/Kapaa you'll probably get steered in the right direction by asking at the airport!

Definitely go see Waimea canyon and Waialale... Just looking at the list of trails makes me want to go there and get a bike to ride. Enjoy!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    We went a couple of years ago, briliant place. Didn't do any biking there, but it's fairly mountainous. Like Bart we went to Waimea, there's a trail up to a waterfall that we walked (as well as a nice beach that the water flows down to).

Hanauma bay is worth a trip too, and Waikiki beach is made of imported sand! Enjoy it, if you get out of the hotel room.....:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paul 8v
    Lol! hopefully there'll be some hotel room time too!
    Were there many peole jetski'ing there? I'm definitely going to go surfing as it kind of has to be done but I really fancy playing with a jetski too (I did so in Barbados, really easy to get massive air with them!)
    We're going to the Canyon, we had pre booked a flat bottomed boat tour but the company went bamg (got the money back though) There's apparently a russian millitary base there too?!
  • bails87
    Don't know about jetskis, can't remember seeing many. May have been one at Waimea, but that's not a developed resort type beach. It was probably just some bloke's who lives there.

Waikikiis a fairly small beach, with a kind of breakwater thing around a lot of it, so it's very calm. Even beyond that the water is pretty flat. I think for surfing you need to go up to the north shore. I think you can rent boards at Waikiki though, small waves are fine if you're a beginner I guess. (I don't know, never done it!)

Have you thought about going to Pearl Harbour. There are lots of day trip/tour things that start there and then explore the rest of the island. You might even see the Hawaiian seperatists protesting outside (I think) the British consulate! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Paul 8v
    We're on the other island to Pearl Harbour but i would imagine there must be boats or something to the main island so I'll have to check it out!
  • bails87
    Paul 8v wrote:
    We're on the other island to Pearl Harbour but i would imagine there must be boats or something to the main island so I'll have to check it out!

Ahhh, is there another Waimea then?

Way OT now!
    MTB/CX

• bartimaeus
    Hmm... it's about 100miles from Kauai to Honolulu (on Oahu)... and about 300 miles to Hawaii itself ('The Big Island' where the volcanos are... if Kilauea is erupting then it's worth a visit - but you'd have to fly).

Kauai is a relatively 'quiet' and unspoilt sland - or at least it was - with no high rise buildings, and no road all the way around. If you like sightseeing then a helicopter or boat trip along the Na Pali coast is pretty spectacular... but I'm with you that the best way to experience the island is by bike or on foot. There are plenty of 'hidden beaches' too... it is a real 'paradise' island. And don't forget to try the local food - some luau pig with poi, yum!
  • Paul 8v
    We're going to try and find one of the places with the pig, we'd like to do the flat bottomed boat trip but I think the mountain bike would definitely be the best way to get around, you can see more than when you're walking as you go further.

Would you think a full susser would be neccesary? I'm a hardtail man normally but I'm not sure how gnarly it will be. I'd rather not carry around all that extra weight unneccesarily!

i've found a bike hire place about half a mile from my hotel so that'd be perfect, I'm hoping they can point me in the direction of some trails, I want to ride some of the famous fire roads :-)
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i'm off to honolulu in december for 2 weeks.
    gonna rent me a bike and ride down one of them big boy volcano's. :D
    if i dont get burnt to a crisp i'll be a downhill hero to my biking buddies :lol:
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Would you think a full susser would be neccesary? I'm a hardtail man normally but I'm not sure how gnarly it will be.

wouldn't be the least surprised if the "proper" MTB's on offer were all FS rigs.
  • bartimaeus
    A quick google gives you at least 4 options

KAUAI CYCLE AND TOUR
    1379 Kuhio Highway
    Kapaa, HI 96746
    (East Side)
    Tel. (808) 821-2115
    jbarth@aloha.net
    Specializing in bike rentals. Good source for Kauai riding: Maps, & more.

NORTH SHORE BIKE DOKTOR
    5-5052 Kuhio Highway
    Hanalei, HI 96714
    (North Shore)
    Tel. (808) 826-7799
    Mountain bike rentals.

OUTFITTERS KAUAI
    2827A Poipu Road
    Koloa, HI 96756
    (South Shore)
    Tel. (808) 742-9667
    info@outfitterskauai.com
    An ecology-minded sports shop. Kayak rentals and tours of the South Shore and the Na Pali Coast. Road and mountain bike rentals.

KAUAI CYCLE
    934 Kuhio Hwy
    Kapaa
    HI 96746
    Tel (808) 821-2115
    kauaicycle@hawaii.rr.com
  • Paul 8v
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    A quick google gives you at least 4 options

KAUAI CYCLE AND TOUR
    1379 Kuhio Highway
    Kapaa, HI 96746
    (East Side)
    Tel. (808) 821-2115
    jbarth@aloha.net
    Specializing in bike rentals. Good source for Kauai riding: Maps, & more.

NORTH SHORE BIKE DOKTOR
    5-5052 Kuhio Highway
    Hanalei, HI 96714
    (North Shore)
    Tel. (808) 826-7799
    Mountain bike rentals.

OUTFITTERS KAUAI
    2827A Poipu Road
    Koloa, HI 96756
    (South Shore)
    Tel. (808) 742-9667
    info@outfitterskauai.com
    An ecology-minded sports shop. Kayak rentals and tours of the South Shore and the Na Pali Coast. Road and mountain bike rentals.

KAUAI CYCLE
    934 Kuhio Hwy
    Kapaa
    HI 96746
    Tel (808) 821-2115
    kauaicycle@hawaii.rr.com

Cheers :-) I've got in contact with Kauai Cycle, they're right near my hotel and have said if i come in the shop they'll point me in the directions of some trails! I think me and the missus will use the bikes to explore the island then on one day i'll try and hook up with some local riders and go for a blast!
    The rental bikes are specialized so should be up to the task 8)
  • I was in Honolulu last year. Although I didn't go riding I was impressed that all the buses had bike racks on the front. so getting around the island with a bike was quite easy. I don't know if that is the same on the other islands
  • Paul 8v
    That would be good as some of the cool places look to be quite a fair way away, be nice to be fresh when you get there
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Do you HAVE to?

Do you REALLY have to?

Hawaii - which my mate states is the most Beautiful place he's ever been too - AND Mountain Biking, AND on the Bonking Moon???

You, my "FRIEND" have absolutely NO RESPECT for the ordinary Man in the Street.

People like you just make me wanna...make me WANNA...be sick with jealousy !!!

I hope you get sunburnt, drunk, saddlesores and get a very worn-out willy.

Jealous, MOI?

Damn right!!! Have a GREAT time, Mr AND Mrs!!!
  • Paul 8v
    Lol! Thanks :-) It's gotta be done really!

Next step is to persuade her to go to New Zealand....