3rd Party Insurance

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Not sure where to post this really, have stuck it on "Road Beginners" but only 1 response so I'll try here too. I need to get 3rd party insurance so that I can join a certain road club but don't know which to go for. BC, LCC and CTC all provide it. Which is best or are there other options?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    HH, are you going to race? If so, your best option is probably BC
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:

I doubt it, possibly a couple of sportives. I've toyed with the idea of racing but it just sounds like you have to dedicate every waking hour to training to get anywhere!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

I doubt it, possibly a couple of sportives. I've toyed with the idea of racing but it just sounds like you have to dedicate every waking hour to training to get anywhere!
    I know what you mean. I'm far too lazy to bother much. I do the very occasional race so went BC Gold + license
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    CTC is your friend
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I know what you mean. I'm far too lazy to bother much. I do the very occasional race so went BC Gold + license

Looks like I need at least silver BC and the price is the same for CTC and only fractionally cheaper for LCC so I may just do BC silver....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm in the same boat (same club even?) and just ticked the box to say I was covered and joined up. Plan was to get BC silver and a racing licence for the occasional race, but BC website is a nightmare and hasn't let me do it yet (was having "temporary" issues the other week and haven't got round to trying again). I'm tempted by the DP h/cap race at Hillingdon in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing that as a no-cat I should get a handy head start!
  • MatHammond wrote:
    I'm in the same boat (same club even?) and just ticked the box to say I was covered and joined up. Plan was to get BC silver and a racing licence for the occasional race, but BC website is a nightmare and hasn't let me do it yet (was having "temporary" issues the other week and haven't got round to trying again). I'm tempted by the DP h/cap race at Hillingdon in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing that as a no-cat I should get a handy head start!

I don't understand why we have to have silver or gold BC membership when all the club needs is 3rd party insurance which is provided by British Cycling Ride insurance which is £24.... I might email to find out...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Let me know when you find out. Was thinking of joining said club myself. :D
  • Gussio wrote:
    CTC is your friend

I am a member of CTC, but want to do my Trail Cycle Leader course, so I have to join SMBLA, and then join BC!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    im with BC and my clubs the same with wanting insurance.