Sky go green

Comments

• just blogged that http://road.cc/content/blog/23040-team- ... it-spoiler
    (shameless plug!)

I know its been done to death but still a good idea.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    They could have given the pinarello's green accents too? Blue and green a bit of a bleurgh!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    mroli wrote:
    They could have given the pinarello's green accents too? Blue and green a bit of a bleurgh!

I'm assuming they are as it does say the bikes will be branded too. Hopefully after the Livestrong debacle at the Tour Sky have gone through the correct channels to ride in the new kit?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The bikes and saddles and helmets and every last thing will also get the green branding.

Pretty lazy 'design update' if you ask me. I'm all for the concept - but they could have put more thought into it than just changing the highlight colour.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    my, doesn't bradley's heartfelt plea just trip off the tongue...
    And Wiggins stressed how crucial it is to act now, saying: "Wearing this unique Sky Rainforest Rescue kit during the Tour of Britain is a fantastic opportunity to raise awareness for a really important issue and help reach the target of raising £4million to save one billion trees in the Amazon."
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Based on Wiggo's wages i'm sure there is a quick way to raise the money :D
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Hopefully the involvement of WWF means it won't be a complete waste of time (hello there Discovery Channel...)

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross wrote:
    mroli wrote:

I'm assuming they are as it does say the bikes will be branded too. Hopefully after the Livestrong debacle at the Tour Sky have gone through the correct channels to ride in the new kit?

I seem to remember during the Tour DH saying that you can change kit for one race in the UCI calendar, which is why Cervelo were wearing that grey kit, but would be changing back to black after the Tour. Presumably Sky have let everyone know. The problem with the Livestrong kit was that you can't suddenly change your kit during a tour.
  • Pross
    Yes, that's the case. Just commenting that I hope they go through the official channels.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its getting a bit silly now with the special kits.

Is there ANYONE that doesnt know about the rainforest ? If they wanted to make a real difference they could have just put the team budget into that instead of cycling ?

Maybe they'll have more luck with their new colours though ?
  • So I clicked through to the Sky Rainforest Action website where I took advantage of their generous offer to adopt a Jaguar for just £3 a month. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it wasn’t a fancy car like the one Dave and his pals drive - but some sort of giant cat.
  • If you're allowed to change kit for one race, does anyone know why Quickstep got in trouble for using the blue retro style kit for Flanders a couple of years ago? I seem to remember they were fined for it.
  • Pross
    You have to get a change of kit approved. ONCE used to do it every year for the Tour as their usual yellow clashed with the Maillot Jeune and Cervelo have done it the last two years.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You can change kit during the year if your sponsors change - or with prior approval from the UCI.

In this case Sky would have gotten permission from the UCI. It doesn't have to be for just one race - it can be longer. Most changes would be for a special reason and just one race though.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You need approval. What I like is the idea that the world's longest transfers between stages is the backdrop for trying to support the rainforests, all those team cars, trucks and buses on the move every single day. What next, the Gumball Rally tries to raise money for road safety?
  • As long as you have the new design approved by the UCI 28 days in advance, you can ride a different kit design for 1 race each season. Sponsor names etc can change from country to country all season if need be. Sky use a different font logo for races in Italy where the corporate logo is different.
  • Pross wrote:
    You have to get a change of kit approved. ONCE used to do it every year for the Tour as their usual yellow clashed with the Maillot Jeune and Cervelo have done it the last two years.

Is that the young rider's jersey?
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Is that the young rider's jersey?

:oops: I knew when I wrote it it didn't look right - 20 odd years since my last French lesson!