Ruined ma hope hoop rear wheel now what??

hoolabloom
hoolabloom Posts: 164
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Hi folks my rear wheel had a liason with my derailluer and a rock and is now dead.

So to that end do I send it back to hope to be rebuilt or do i need to find a local wheel builder?

Was running the DT swiss 5.1 but found it a bit susceptible to bends. any recommendations of a suitable replacement rim tend to be doing heavy xc/AM riding with the odd drop or two combined with a trip to the alps here and there. Also whilst im off down this road should i go tubeless??

All help greatly appreciated.

DAMN rocks :cry:

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    If it's just a rim you need (and spokes) I'd recomend a Mavic EN521. I've run them with Hope hubs for about 18 months and they're like new. Jumps and drops no drama at all and I'm heavy too.

Tubeless?? who needs the hassle tbh. Unless you're getting pinch flats all the time or you'd like to run your tyres softer why bother.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd go for a NoTubes Flow, as above, you'll need the rim and spokes and a local wheel builder.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    If you're happy with the hub, and have a lbs with a good wheel-builder, then get them to build you up a wheel using your existing hub & a stronger rim.

The 'Tubeless or not to Tubeless' question doesn't seem to have a definitive answer.

Seems to be a matter of personal preference from what I've read, rather than any unarguable technical or performance improvement.
  • Get a Stans flow rim then can leave the tubeless option open
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Im runnin EN521 rims too and they're fantastic, not overly heavy but strong as hell and look the dogs too.

Whole heartedly recommended :D
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The guys I spoke to at Hope are nice people.

Phone them (don't email) and explain what happened and ask for their advice.

They might fix it for cheap.

If they don't offer anything special, just build it yourself, it is not difficult and all you need is a spoke key and youtube.
    I have a wheel jig, but don't use it, I find it easier fitted to the frame.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My rear hope hub died and got replaced for free by hope. Damn good.