sock recomendations

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Since this week is to be wet and windy I thought I should get a pair of waterproof overshoes in case Sunday is as wet as the rest of the week is forecast to be.

As time is short, are the decathlon ones OK. Or could I get a decent pair online without having to pay for express delivery (I'm a cheapskate you see :wink: ).

Comments

• rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    evans has endura, if your near one....
    if not if you order wiggle you should have them by friday if you order now.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    trying them on first is best as you need the right size
  • suzyb
    I assume I'd need to be wearing my cycling shoes to try them on.
  • The Endura ones are great! The zip seems to break after a while, but with a bit of skill it can still be zipped up.

They sell them in Dales and Evans.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    ordered my endura mt500 from chain reaction last week and they arrived 2 days latter.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    White Line wrote:
    The Endura ones are great! The zip seems to break after a while, but with a bit of skill it can still be zipped up.

I returned mine - the zips aren't up to the job. Planning on getting some BBB ones.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I went and got BBB Hardware ones after I wore holes in the sides on the Endura ones.

After a while they ride up at the front and it looks like you're wearing clogs. sometimes my toe would pop out the front too (usually when unclipping).

IMO, the Endura ones function best. They seemed to keep the water out longer too.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Rolf F wrote:
    White Line wrote:
    The Endura ones are great! The zip seems to break after a while, but with a bit of skill it can still be zipped up.

I returned mine - the zips aren't up to the job. Planning on getting some BBB ones.

I haven't found any durable overshoes - Endura suffer from breaking zips and the others are ripped to shreds if you walk any more than a few metres in them. My solution has been to go for Sealskinz socks. Not idea but I can always dry the shoes out with news paper afterwards.
    Steve C
  • My sidi ones seem to have held up pretty well. They're not hugely waterproof, but then with holes for cleats and ankles they're unlikely to be! Great for everything short of torrential downpours.

I'd also agree with good socks, i used to like sealskinz, which are pretty good as long as you never tumble or leave them on a radiator. But now i prefer merino as they stay a lot warmer even when fully saturated.
  • suzyb
    hmmm might go for a pair of socks instead then. They could prove useful off the bike as well.

Any recommendations for socks instead.
  • sc999cs
    Sealskinz Mid Thermal or Mid Light socks (although the hi-vis ones look interesting)
    Steve C
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    The MT500s lasted about a week and if you're using the SealSkinz, make sure you pay attention to the washing instructions; if not they'll also fall apart on you, which I know to my cost.
  • FWIW, I think overshoes are perfectly reasonable purchases. Sure, you might go through two pairs during winter, but they keep your feet dry (unless it bucketing down or you're out for ages in the rain), and they always keep your feet warm. I really don't mind buying two pairs over winter.

And the thing with the zips on the Endura ones; it's not even worth worrying about. Takes an extra two seconds to zip them up.

Just give them a try, and if you don't like them by the time they wear out, then go buy the socks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    White Line wrote:
    And the thing with the zips on the Endura ones; it's not even worth worrying about. Takes an extra two seconds to zip them up..

I presume you mean here that the tab breaks off (which it did on mine) - that wasn't the problem - it was the zip itself failing so one of them couldn't be zipped up at all.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sc999cs
    Rolf F wrote:
    White Line wrote:
    And the thing with the zips on the Endura ones; it's not even worth worrying about. Takes an extra two seconds to zip them up..

I presume you mean here that the tab breaks off (which it did on mine) - that wasn't the problem - it was the zip itself failing so one of them couldn't be zipped up at all.

Ditto, except the tab ripped off on one foot and the zip broke on the other.
    Steve C