Raising the handlebars

rockland
rockland Posts: 12
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I want to raise the handlbars on a Cube Reaction RX 2010. On my old bike there were assitional plastic risers on there that went around the stem of the bike.

Is it possible to simply add some of these to my bike and raise the bars on the stem by about 1.5"?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    You could alter the spacers already there to raise/lower the stem, but obviously you can't "add" any because of the steerer length is set.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you do not actually own the bike yet?
    Hi All,

First post on these forums.

I have been into a few Cube stockists over the last few weeks and have my heart set on a Cube Reaction RX 2010.

I am going to click 'buy' within the next couple of hours. Just waiting for the Mrs to get back with my credit card.

The shops that I have been into only had 16" and 18" frames. I tried them both out around the shop grounds and both felt to small. I am 6ft exactly and have previously had Trek 19.5 inch frames.

My question to anyone that might know, is based on my height of 6ft, do you think that a 20" frame would be sufficient? (I haven't got the opportunity locally to try out this size) The next size up is a 22" frame which seems a bit excessive. Does anyone own a Cube or have any experience on frame size?

Any info would be appreciated. Cheers.

doing what you are asking is not a possible solution to fixing a wrong sized bike.

but new stem or new bars would be the solution.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

I have just ordered the bike tonight.

It's not that the bike is incorrectly sized; when I tried it out at the weekend I just felt that I would like the handlebars a slightly bit higher than what they were and I wasn't sure whether this was possible to do or not.

The chap above says that I can adjust the risers that are already there. Without wanting to sound dumb, how iis it possible to higher the bars with what is already there?
  • *AL*
    rockland wrote:
    The chap above says that I can adjust the risers that are already there. Without wanting to sound dumb, how iis it possible to higher the bars with what is already there?

stem-headset.jpg

The headset spacers can be moved above or below the stem to make the stem (and so the bars) higher or lower.
  • Oh, OK I didn't realise that.

Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.
  • *AL*
    Or you can do what I did to my Stumpy and fit a pair of risers, a little bit more upright riding position and they're slightly wider too.
  • Sorry, when you say 'risers', do mean different bars?
  • *AL*
    edited September 2010
    Yes.

Risers.

easton%20cnt%20riser%20xc%2025%204.jpg

Flat bars.

easton%20ec70%20xc%20bar.jpg

Flats are generally narrower and the bars don't angle back as much at the ends, so can be uncomfortable on the wrists.
  • OK, brilliant.

Thanks for the advice again. Much appreciated.