How many miles from your slicks?

d.n.f
d.n.f Posts: 61
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
After putting the rear wheel back in the bike last night and spinning it just to check it's all clear I notice a 3 inch tear in the tyre! :shock:
It's only the out rubber (tyre stayed up), which you can lift off inner weave and its rizla paper thin, it looks like it just worn away.
Now this is after 2.5k miles. Is that about right? Fist time I've had slicks but was expecting around 4k out of them.... don't know why though. :?

Also, how do you know when a slick is wearing out?

and should I be worried about the front too?

They are specialized amadillo elite 25's on a Allez.

Cheers

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    What size tyre and how heavy are you?

I got just over 1000km out of a rear Schwalbe Blizzard the front lasted 3000km
    And another 1200km out of Conti Ultra Sport on the rear (the front is still going strong)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • The pair of Conti GP4000S tyres on my hybrid have done 8500 miles and the two wear limit dimples are still visible, lots of small cuts in the tread but no punctures,i use these all year round,another pair of these tyres on my road bike have done 4000 miles also no punctures so far and i,ll transfer these over to the the hybrid soon, they are quite pricey at 45-50 quid a pair but well worth it imo.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've done over 1k miles on my Schwalbe Marathon Plus and their going strong
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • I have 28mm Conti Gatorskins on my commuter and the original Kenda Kriterions on my road bike. I've done ~2k miles on the former and ~1.5k miles on the latter. Both fronts are barely worn at all; both rears are beginning to square off a bit but I would guess that neither is 50% worn yet, which would tie up with your 4k mile figure.

FWIW, I had Spesh armadillos (Nimbus) of the commuter previously and replaced them after ~3.5k miles due to cracking rather than them being fully worn out.

_
  • Did 3500 miles on Conti Gatorskins and reckon I could have kept them going for much much further. Lots of little cuts and nicks in the tire with one more serious gash so played safe and changed them over ahead of a 2 week touring holiday
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My Ultremos, and I've now used 8 or 9, have about 1500-2000 miles in them. Two of the tyres I've had to replace failed (one was part of the faulty batch that got recalled, and one blew a hole in the sidewall) and the others just got cut up to the point I wasn't confident in them any more.
  • d.n.f
    d.n.f Posts: 61
    Sounds like the 2.5k miles is not too bad then... and I won't worry about thr front just yet.

the are the roubaix 23/25 things. been really good tyres actually, enough grip and zero flats so can't complain.

The conti's sound like they last best though, I'll have a look at them next too.

Cheers
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I've just done 750 miles on 400/23c Gator hardskins. The front tyre still has bits of stray rubber from the moulding process around most of the tyre whilst the rear one is decidedly flat. II'm going to switch them end-to-end this weekend which, I estimate, will give me a good 2.5-3,000 miles out of the pair.

I have written off a tyre within the first 10 miles of its life though. Similalry, I took a huge chunk out of the side-wall by hitting something sharp on the road.

Bob
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Had 2000-2500 out of my pro3s this summer, very happy with that but they have had a few flats and some sidewall bodges along the way.

Just bought some schwelbe duranos which apparently last 6000 mi. They look and sound good, but will he how long they last in the real world soon I expect.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WTB slickasaurus here, got them cheap as they were 'well worn' 500 miles later they look no different.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    after 2.5k on the gatorskins, they look OK but do have a lot of nicks and small tears in them. Might swap them with the top contact tyres I have sitting under my desk in a few weeks