Campag or Shimano?

2»

Comments

• Kirky
    Kirky Posts: 459
    revvers wrote:
    Many thanks for the input everybody. I must admit I am VERY disappointed with my LBS as they are either incompetant and/or very expensive, which forces me to shop online. I need to give all 3 systems a go, perhaps at the London cycle show before I buy. Then I can get my new Ribble!! :D

You won't get to test them properly at the London Cycle Show - as others have said, find a LBS that has all three and try them out. We are a Campag 11 speed test centre / ProShop as well as having SRAM and Shimano demo bikes people can try. It's nice when someone comes in without knowing what they want, as they can get to try all three and decide from there what they like and spec a bike accordingly.

However as you've admitted you're just going to go and buy the bike from Ribble that might not go down so well!! Why not use a local bike shops services / knowledge and then buy a bike from them?? It probably won't be much if any more expensive and if you have any problems you'll be able to pop back and see them!! Also, buying a bike over the internet can lead to problems with sizing and also correct set-up - so if you're going down that route make sure you know the exact size / stem length etc you need first, otherwise it will cost you in the long run adjusting the bike and paying for bits you otherwise wouldn't have changed (had it been set-up properly by a LBS).

As for people saying Campag isn't up to the job of the British winter - rubbish, and any half-decent mechanic can set up gears from all three main manufacturers in minutes.

For what it's worth, I've run Campag since I was a kid and this year switched to SRAM as I thought it was a better system and a better shifter position - but that's personal choice.

KIRKY
    Las Vegas Institute of Sport