Doing the 2011 Norwich 50/100

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
Hi all im entering the Norwich BHF 50/100 next year 8) , and decided on the 100 :D as ive done 50 miles many times before (not racing) however ive never gone any further than 60 miles :oops: . Any tips on how to start training? Also what kit spares will i need for the race :?:

Im fairly fit and cycle 20 miles a day to and from work.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Blimey, thats a bit early!

Basic toolkit, and couple of innertubes, pump etc will be fine.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Well based on the last two years a waterproof jacket would be handy :D

I won't even start to think about training for that until early March.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • wideboy
    Yeah i need to start now so i can train in readiness..

Does anyone know the exact route?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If it's a race, why would you take anything - hope for a neutral service car and if there isn't one get ready for a long walk back to HQ?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • wideboy
    Ive checked the long term weather forcast and its going to be dry :D
  • Found a link for a recent Norwich 100 but the route can change slightly due to roadworks and when I rode it a few times it went anti clockwise out to Acle first.........

www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/n ... 2505268704
    I spent some of my money on a Felt Carbon Fibre bike and a nice titanium MTB.....................................................................
    the rest I squandered.
  • wideboy
    Thanks for that!
  • I'm doing the 50 at the moment but i might change to the 100 depending on how my training goes.... Good luck and have fun to all those going!!
  • Hi all im entering the Norwich BHF 50/100 next year , and decided on the 100 as ive done 50 miles many times before (not racing) however ive never gone any further than 60 miles . Any tips on how to start training? Also what kit spares will i need for the race

Im fairly fit and cycle 20 miles a day to and from work.

Thanks in advance

As a very rough piece of advice on the level you should be at by the time of the event; aim to be fit enough to "comfortably" complete a 75 mile ride (without hitting the wall) 2 weeks before the 100 miler. Don't do ANY cycling three days prior to the event and eat lots of carbs during this period. It's a very flat course however the wind can be brutal at times, particlarly along the coast. Riding with a group of similar ability and fitness will help as you can wheelsuck if you're feeling a bit rough or low on energy. Just don't be tempted to go too far out of your comfort zone pace-wise because you see other riders zoom past at ridiculous speeds. That's a guaranteed route to hitting the wall and having a very bad day at the office!

As for kit to take during the ride, the most important bits are:

- Multitool
    - 2 x Spare Inner Tubes
    - Puncture Repair Kit
    - Tyre Levers
    - 2 x Energy Gels/Bars/Food Items
    - Mobile Phone in a Sweat/Rain-Proof Bag or Case
    - 2x Filled Drinks Bottles (I strongly advise using an energy drink such as SiS or High5)

I believe mechanical assistance is available for this event if any non-normal fault were to occur (ie a chain break, snapped gear or brake cable etc). You'll be given a phone number to call in the event of such a fault - there will be dedicated mechanic cars driving around on the course.

Hope that helps?
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    one more tip....

stop calling it a race - it's not.