Bike insurance.

2»

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    probably not.

If they want your bike, like Ollieda says, they will have it. They'll just nick a front wheel off another bike and then flog it on Gum-Tree/Ebay pronto and if someone queries it they'll come up with some story like they had an accident and had to get a new front wheel in order to explain the mis-match.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I phoned security up at Salford Uni, the guy said they do get bikes going missing but he said a good lock and chain I should be fine, so I "should" be fine with a Kryptonite lock.

This is where I'd probably try and lock it:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=u ... 91,,2,2.35
  • schweiz
    freehub wrote:
    I phoned security up at Salford Uni, the guy said they do get bikes going missing but he said a good lock and chain I should be fine, so I "should" be fine with a Kryptonite lock.

This is where I'd probably try and lock it:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=u ... 91,,2,2.35

Why lock it on the Crescent? Just lock it up outside your lecture hall. Admittedly it's a long time since I was at Salford for an Open Day (1996) but I think you'll be able to find more then enough street furniture. Plus the foot fall round those areas in the daytime is immense. Just don't try and 'hide' your bike in a secluded corner thinking that it's harder to spot. It just means the bike thief is harder to spot when they're taking a chisel/crow bar/croppers to your bike. Wait till you start there and you'll get to know where people tend to lock up their bikes and where's most convenient and most safe.
  • freehub
    Am I able to just go there one day on my bike and ride round the campus to see the best places to lock my bike?
  • schweiz
    from my memory of Salford it's an open campus, so I don't see why not. If you have a letter from the Uni saying you will start your course, take it with you just in case there are any issues with any security. If they ask what you are doing 'snooping' round all the areas where people park bikes, just explain. There's that many people though, no-one would notice you.

[edit] Speak to your course secretary and ask which buildings most of your lectures will be in. They'll probably be able to give you a plan withe the buildings marked on and you can go round at your leisure. My experience is that they are some of the most helpful people on earth, especially if you want them to backdate the stamp on coursework you've submitted, not that I ever asked them to do that, but it's amazing what a small box of choccies gets you!
  • freehub
    I tried contacting uni but they just referred me to someone who deals with my course who appears not to be there yet, so I'll just have to try another day. I really hope no thieves could get through a Kryptonite lock on a Uni campus, they'd need some proper tools and if they wanted to get through it quick would need to make a massive noise with a cutting tool.

I don't know how long I'll actually be in uni but my guess is sometimes I'll be there up to 4:30, maybe even up to 7pm sometime so in winter it'll be pitch black.
  • schweiz
    freehub wrote:
    I tried contacting uni but they just referred me to someone who deals with my course who appears not to be there yet, so I'll just have to try another day. I really hope no thieves could get through a Kryptonite lock on a Uni campus, they'd need some proper tools and if they wanted to get through it quick would need to make a massive noise with a cutting tool.

I don't know how long I'll actually be in uni but my guess is sometimes I'll be there up to 4:30, maybe even up to 7pm sometime so in winter it'll be pitch black.

You need to relax a bit, you'll end up making yourself ill with worry. You just have to be realistic about the fact that bikes get stolen and the probability of a bike being stolen is higher in a city. But the fact is that more bikes are not stolen, than are stolen. (although this article claims over half a million were stolen last year). It's just about improving the odds in your favour. Get a good lock, lock it how I've described previously to something which you can't move, in a well lit area, if possible with other bikes so yours doesn't stand out, not in some dingy back alley or under a stairwell and if it the worse comes to the worse, the insurance will cover it.
  • freehub
    Hopefully you're right. Thanks for the advice.

I found this on Sheldon Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Half of the stuff he says people would object to, like leaving a lock on the railings, I thought he'd have known better.
  • schweiz
    freehub wrote:
    Hopefully you're right. Thanks for the advice.

I found this on Sheldon Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Half of the stuff he says people would object to, like leaving a lock on the railings, I thought he'd have known better.

I leave my lock attached to the bike rack at work. Sometimes somebody uses 'my' spot but I just move my lock onto another free space in the rack. I can see people not wanting to have locks attached to railings and lamp-posts etc., but if it's a bike rack, I doubt anybody will get upset. Saying that, In Oxford I've regularly see locks fastened to railings. Some of the stuff Sheldon says about cutting a wheel rim is true as I found out when I wanted to put an old rim in the recycling bin, but if the thief has bolt croppers it would be much easier so if you can lock the frame, lock it.
  • Will from a coppers point of view, if they want it, they'll take it mate. No matter how much security you try and do they will find a way to nick it.

I have a kryptonite fagedaboutit (or something like that) but a) I've heard it's not fool proof b) it weighs a ton and c) I only got it to be in line with the insurance I have. Oh and d) it's about £100!!! As I have read on here your a tight ar5e so that'll be no good to you :lol::lol::lol:
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • freehub
    If I get it nicked I get it nicked I guess, then have to walk 1.6 miles, I guess 33mins is not much, everywhere else I go I can use my main bike. It'd be a shame to loose the commuter, but not the end of the world, and if I got a payout for it I'd be able to get a crap bike from it and some money to spare. But screw using a bus of train, I'd rather walk unless it is genuinely dangerous walking along the A6 in pitch black in Winter.

I'm tight for a reason, I know people moaning that they were out of money when I wasn't, I've still got money from last year because I was not burning holes in my pockets.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I work at salford Uni, Will so perhaps I can locate a safe area for the bike. Let me know what you think. The locals LOVE bikes and students with nice kit (l-tops,I-things,designer stuff). They make a career of robbery but the Uni has eradicated a lot of the problems.
    M.Rushton
  • freehub
    That's proper lucky that a member of BR who actually works at Salford Uni! I would indeed be very greatful if you could help me locate a safe area :D
  • mrushton
    If you tell me what building your lectures are in or where you are based in the day I can suggest some places. The good news is the locals actually dress like locals ie numpty chav boots/hoodies etc and security know what they look like. The days of the locals wandering around with bolt cutters are gone but the opportunistic villain is always about.
    M.Rushton
  • freehub
    I'm not 100% sure of the buildings I will be in yet, unable to find out yet. But I am doing a BSc in Business Information Technology and that is at the "business school", but I hear that's the Maxwell building?

So if Bolt cutters are gone surely my bike frame and wheels are not gonna go walkabouts? As you'd need something like that or more to get through a Kryptonite?
  • I'm not 100% and haven't got time to look at the mo' but I'm positive I've seen something showing an ex-con picking a lock with a biro.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • mrushton
    Doesn't work like that. The Uni is located in crime central and villains make their careers in the area. If they can nick it they will (and not all students are honest). Maxwell is right at the front of the Uni and there are some bikestands opp. the security lodge. Let me know when you are starting and we'll meet up. I will be off soon on hols but I'll help you out where possible. Where are you coming in from?
    M.Rushton
  • freehub
    mrushton wrote:
    Doesn't work like that. The Uni is located in crime central and villains make their careers in the area. If they can nick it they will (and not all students are honest). Maxwell is right at the front of the Uni and there are some bikestands opp. the security lodge. Let me know when you are starting and we'll meet up. I will be off soon on hols but I'll help you out where possible. Where are you coming in from?

Well I'll be riding in on the A6 from the city centre, I live right in the middle of Manchester. When are you off? I could meet up next week, I don't think I'm in Uni till 20th but I can have a ride down sometime next week if you can meet then?
  • schweiz
    I'm not 100% and haven't got time to look at the mo' but I'm positive I've seen something showing an ex-con picking a lock with a biro.

That's an old story from 2004. Kryptonite (and many other manufacturers) have now stopped using the cylinder type key that was allegedly pick-able with a bic pen. Kryptonite offered replacement locks if you had one of the affected models.
  • freehub
    My lock I've been using uses a cylinder key, I'm going to use it in combination with the kryptonite, might do bugger all, but will make my mind feel better.
  • mrushton
    I should be about all next week. But the arrival of a baby may change that. Let me know when you are coming in either thro' PM or on here. Maxwell is the large building with a crest on it on the main road. Use the peli.crossing to get across the road (if it's raining don't stand near the kerb edge).

Just been over that way. best place outside is right in front of Max.Hall. Its semi undercover and in full view of the security guys, lots of people going by and not far from where you will be taught. Prob. be able to leave the locks nearby as well.
    M.Rushton
  • Thieves can practice on your lock overnight if you leave your lock on a rack/railing :?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Thieves can practice on your lock overnight if you leave your lock on a rack/railing :?

The theif would really want his bike if they were going to practice on it that much!
  • freehub
    Well I locked me bike up and it seems pretty secure, can't see it going walkabouts. There was a lass with a brand new really clean looking Carrera with Aksium or Ksyrium wheels with all the stickers on and she locked it up near mine just from the front wheel, or front wheel/frame leaving back wheel unprotected with a shite lock and she said it's been there a week and no one has stolen it yet.

I seen quite alot of road bikes better than my commuter.

I like riding home from Uni, you always get cyclists trying to compete.
  • schweiz
    freehub wrote:
    There was a lass with a brand new really clean looking Carrera...

So did you get her number?
  • mrushton
    nah, he'll want to be 'gaming' or hanging out with his new student (male) pals. I see it all the time. Some stunning girls and these packs of blokes talking up their A - levels and X-boxes. Stay away from Peel mezzanine toilets Will, unless glory holes and manly love are your thing. Glad you got the bike sorted. We'll meet up when I get back and I'll keep an eye an your ike whnever I'm passing
    M.Rushton
  • Ollieda wrote:
    Thieves can practice on your lock overnight if you leave your lock on a rack/railing :?

The theif would really want his bike if they were going to practice on it that much!

They just superglue the lock so you can't use it, you've ridden a long way in and you're stuffed.