Lapierre Zesty 514 2011?

Anna Jones
Anna Jones Posts: 9
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

I've managed to find a picture and some specs for the new Zesty 514. I just wondered what people thought about it? I've been waiting a long time to see what it looked like.

http://www.welovelapierre.com/productvi ... 2011%20N-A

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    They may be good bikes but ive never liked them myself, they just look gangly and long and not particularly burly.

I know they are obviously very good at what they do but they just dont light my fire like other bikes.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Zesty's are great bikes IHMO, when I rode one it felt like it wanted to jump off everything in sight.

Don't like the colours much though on that particular model.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    they may be good bikes, except for possible build issues, but my god they aint half ugly this and how freaking much :shock:

the whyte 146s has a full carbon frame, better wheels and imo better grioupset and finishing kit and is identically priced. the 914 is just stupid money, again the 146 works is not only a massive 800 quid less, but comes with a full xx groupset and a rockshox reverb seatpost, the same wheels and a better shock. to push my point more, the spicy 516 has an slx groupset, compared to the xt it had last year, which would be fine if it was around the 2-2500 mark, but nearly 3 and half grand for a bike with slx is just plain rediculous :roll:

some people seriously need to think about their pricing, or else the industry is going to implode
  • I bought mine in 2009 - £2400. How can they add £600 to the price and drop to SLX components and (what look to be) faily wanky tyres?

Still don't believe the hype around the build though. Mine has been great thus far and have smashed the hell out of it. It's only the shimano parts that have been replaced (1 new wheel, 1 new cassette, 3 chains, new handlegrips...ok they weren't shimano, new headset bearings.

Costing me a bomb in components...but the frame....no problems!
  • thel33ter
    lawman wrote:
    they may be good bikes, except for possible build issues, but my god they aint half ugly this and how freaking much :shock:

the whyte 146s has a full carbon frame, better wheels and imo better grioupset and finishing kit and is identically priced. the 914 is just stupid money, again the 146 works is not only a massive 800 quid less, but comes with a full xx groupset and a rockshox reverb seatpost, the same wheels and a better shock. to push my point more, the spicy 516 has an slx groupset, compared to the xt it had last year, which would be fine if it was around the 2-2500 mark, but nearly 3 and half grand for a bike with slx is just plain rediculous :roll:

some people seriously need to think about their pricing, or else the industry is going to implode

Didn't notice the pricing, but anything that makes a Whyte good value (apart from it's frame) is wayyyyy overpriced.

And the spec list or picture is wrong, cause pic has an RP2, spec list says RP23 :?
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Nalla
    Nalla Posts: 87
    Another pic here. Taken from a thread on the lapierre owners forum where a guy received the new 514 frame as a warranty replacement.
    4932476063_91dd60930e_b.jpg
  • lawman
    thel33ter wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Didn't notice the pricing, but anything that makes a Whyte good value (apart from it's frame) is wayyyyy overpriced.

And the spec list or picture is wrong, cause pic has an RP2, spec list says RP23 :?

as far as im aware the whyte 146 works is the cheapest FS bike available that comes with xx *waits for some saddo to correct me* :lol:

the rest of the range looks great value too and very well priced
  • thel33ter
    Still a horrible colour :roll:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mccraque wrote:
    I bought mine in 2009 - £2400. How can they add £600 to the price and drop to SLX components and (what look to be) faily wanky tyres?!

Weak pound is a big part of it. Same reason that Orange 5s are actually not bad value just now.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think it looks quite good. £3k for SLX kit is ridiculous though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • thel33ter
    lawman wrote:
    as far as im aware the whyte 146 works is the cheapest FS bike available that comes with xx *waits for some saddo to correct me* :lol:
    the rest of the range looks great value too and very well priced

The Saddo has arrived :lol:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... LUK&cc=GBP

Although it is from Jenson USA, so it's kind of cheating.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    £3k?!

Clearly get a Mojo and custom spec it for that amount :twisted:
  • Must admit I do like the look of it, but 3K, is a lot of money for it, would expect XT through out at least. Wonder if there will be as many frame issues this year.
  • I bought my 2010 Zesty 514 just four months ago to replace my 2009 Trek Fuel EX9 and have absolutely no regrets. It has amazing handling and climbs really well. I love the 2010 colour scheme and spec, but i've got to say that the 2011 does look good! I would however prefer to see a full XT drivetrain but the SLX crank does at least suit the new coluor scheme.

Has anyone noticed from the welovelapierre pictures that the cable routing on the down tube has changed? It looks like the have either gone for internal routing or down the side of the down tube or a mixture of both! I do like mine thought with the anodised X shaped clamps.

All in all, the 2011 looks like a great bike. Will I be envious? Yes a little!

Just a small point but, the shorter cockpit introduced on the 2010 is too short! at 5'10", I did fit a new laid back seat post to gain an extra 25mm on my medium frame.
  • bails87
    Toasty wrote:
    £3k?!

Clearly get a Mojo and custom spec it for that amount :twisted:

So build up the bike for under a grand after you've bought the frame? I agree with the mojo idea, but for £3k would the kit be that good?
    MTB/CX

• toasty
    Purely from 10 minutes of browsing:

Standard Mojo Frame - £1800
    2011 10 speed XT groupset - £400
    Race Face Deus finishing kit - £120
    Bel Air Saddle - £30
    Pro IIs on Flows - £250
    Revelation Team U-Turn - £350 (On-One, good deal!)
    2x High Roller 2.35 - £50

Bang on £3k, with more expensive finishing kit, Team forks, flash wheels, 2011 higher spec 3x10 groupset.

Grips and pedals missing, hmm! I could shift some money from that very over priced finishing kit! :) If you had more than 10 minutes to spend you could get the price down.

Given the chainset on the Lapierre is an SLX anyway I could have theoretically gone for the 2011 3x10 SLX groupset and saved another £130, which would more than cover decent lock on grips and pedals.
  • lawman
    considering a set of lock ons are about 15 quid, and if you're spending 3k on a bike, id think you wouldnt mind having to spend a little extra to finish it off :wink:

also says on welovelapierre that the price is now the same as last year, £2799, but id still prefer to have the 146, you can see where the extra 200 quid quite clearly, full carbon frame, proper 2 x10 drivetrain, much better wheels than the xt, sun black flags that weigh 1550g on the whyte, and accept all axle combos, and the xt's have had their fair share of issues, but if anyone prefers the lapy, i hope they've sorted the frame issues
  • toasty
    Get the SLX cranks instead of the XT I specced then, its the same as the Lapierre has :P You can buy some lock ons!

My point more being that I think they're taking the pee a bit, fully built up bikes shouldn't be comparable prices to boutique, custom specced bikes, I think it's getting silly. The same specced bike would have been the best part of £1k cheaper a couple of years back, and the price hikes on groupsets don't seem to justify this.

Whyte are doing well though, I agree there!
  • lawman
    Toasty wrote:
    Whyte are doing well though, I agree there!

they are indeeed, all i need to do is decide wether i go for the works or do a custom build :lol:
  • bails87
    Toasty
    Fair enough, I must have been thinking of the SL which is over £2k.

I'd rather (pay more and) have a Mojo than a Lapierre, the Whyte does look pretty good too.
    MTB/CX

• toasty
    They don't make frames big enough for me sadly, so I'm a bit bitter at them :) Otherwise I'd have been strongly tempted by an E120 as a marathon type bike (which is now replaced by the T120?).