Buying stuff from the USA

j_l
j_l Posts: 425
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Got a copy of MBA the other day (how mags should be, but that's another thread) looking at the ads, prices look much more competitive and as always we in the UK get a real bum deal.

Has anyone had any experience buying stuff from the states?
I'm not old I'm Retro

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Probably make up the savings just in customs charges and shipping.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i bet the prices shown for bike stuff in american mags dont include state duty tax ( their version of vat ).
    wouldnt consider shipping over from the states unless it was a high value item sold very cheaply eg. complete bike.
    other folk do though without any trouble.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ive looked at this myself before but after shipping costs and other taxes etc it barely seems worth the time and hassle that comes with it.
  • I'd be worried about any hidden cost and taxes. It might be a bit more pricey in the UK, but a least you know where you stand with tax etc.
  • i think its anything over £18 and you start being charged VAT. unless you can convince them to mark it as a 'gift' or 'commercial sample' - can be worth it but you got to add that 17.5% on :)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I buy most of my significant stuff from the USA as it is HUGELY cheaper over there.

Do be aware that if you ship a bike you will be charge an import fee £6? +17.5% +15% bike duty.

Even taking this into account you can make huge savings.

this sounds a lot, but my frame in the UK sells for £1650, in the usa $1000, even with the fees I saved about £600.

I could have flown to the USA, collected my frame, flew back and still paid less than getting rip off british prices.

It is MASSIVELY worth it.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have been looking for a new bike and the one of the ones i want i can only get in the states, plus its almost £1700 cheaper than over here so i will be inporting it.
    Have a look at Jensonusa.com
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • j_l
    cavegiant wrote:
    I buy most of my significant stuff from the USA as it is HUGELY cheaper over there.

Do be aware that if you ship a bike you will be charge an import fee £6? +17.5% +15% bike duty.

Even taking this into account you can make huge savings.

this sounds a lot, but my frame in the UK sells for £1650, in the usa $1000, even with the fees I saved about £600.

I could have flown to the USA, collected my frame, flew back and still paid less than getting rip off british prices.

It is MASSIVELY worth it.

This was as I thought, I have a few friends who do similar with top end Californian made surfboards, some boards retail over here for £1300+, getting them direct they only pay £600-£700.

got to be worth a try
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • It's the same story with musical instruments, far better deals to be had over the pond. An established trick with guitars is to buy a cheap secondhand guitar over here, put it in a nice case, fly to the states, bin it and replace with the new guitar you buy. No import to pay as you left the country with it.

If you know what you're buying and can get a cheap flight I reckon you could work this with a bike frame.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    all good unless you have a problem with the frame and then you have no warrenty
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I imported a Chris King from the US, definitely worked out cheaper
  • ive ordered a few times from jenson usa, got import tax lastime. so when i rang to pay they said you pay import tax on anything over 50 quid.

got some bars for 64 including delivery came the next day. would of been 120 over here and woud of turned up the day after.

so i had to pay 64 plus 5 quid import tax and a tenner admin fee, still a big saving and arrives quicker!!

jenson wont deliver frames to uk though. or at least the ones i looked at anyway
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    anjs wrote:

Why?

You are not buying second hand from eBay, you are just buying on holdiay.

I have had to warranty stuff, raceface cranks and niner frame, had no issues with raceface.
    Niner was a different matter, but eventually got my frame, the objectin wasnt due to the export, just Niner.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    cavegiant wrote:
    anjs wrote:

Why?

You are not buying second hand from eBay, you are just buying on holdiay.

For some companies, if you buy the frame in the USA, they will only deal with warranty returns in the USA. Often applies to consumer electronics and a lot of other stuff too.

Definitely worth investigating before buying (as some companies are great about it).
  • I ordered a few things from the states, and had them shipped to me by my grandma who lives there. Didn't pay any duties but that is probably due to it coming from a private residence and not a business.
  • j_l
    I ordered a few things from the states, and had them shipped to me by my grandma who lives there. Didn't pay any duties but that is probably due to it coming from a private residence and not a business.

I did similar with some 4X4 stuff via a friends mate, he once sent thought a diff locker for a range rover.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • GHill wrote:
    For some companies, if you buy the frame in the USA, they will only deal with warranty returns in the USA. Often applies to consumer electronics and a lot of other stuff too.

Definitely worth investigating before buying (as some companies are great about it).

Apple were great with an iPod a few years ago. I bought it in the US and had a problem with it within the warranty period. Requested warranty service online and got sent a box to package it in and the number for a courier company to come and pick it up. I think it got sent to their Dutch service centre.

My current road bike was bought in the US because I lived their at the time. I'd hate to think the warranty would not be honoured because I moved, but it might.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!