Casati Vinci

Deploderer
Deploderer Posts: 13
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Ok so after my visit to Bob Jacksons on Thursday (see previous post), so as to compare and contrast, I visited Racescene in Barnsley on Saturday.

I really liked the Casati Vinci that Richard suggested. Alu frame, carbon forks and seat stay, will take mudguards and pannier, looks like an ideal all year round bike and for similar money to the BJ it would come with ultegra bits and a custom paint job.

My only concern is I can't find an independent review anywhere of Casati bikes, Cycling Plus doesn't cover them in its buying guide and googling them brings up no results.

Does anyone know anything about them/

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im looking at a casati myself, but i cant find any information on them. they look stunning and i think are incredibly rare in the UK. i know this doesnt help but if anyone finds any information i'd be very very grateful!
  • Asking a cyclist about Casati is a bit like asking a petrol-head if he has heard of Ferrari.

I guess the (Italian) company is maybe laking a UK distributor able to put the advertising muscle in.

It ain't no second-string name; top notch Italian along with your Colnago, Wilier, Pinarello, etc.

'Cicli Casati'.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    I too was in there on Saturday, and I also looked at a Casati Vinci !!, no doubt the paintwork is really nice and the aluminium frame looked well with the carbon SS. I found a weight on Google when i got home of 1450g for the frame alone. At £795 including fork, all things considered, i think it's too dear and won't be buying, IMHO a large part of the cost is the name, when you can buy a much lighter full carbon frame for over £300 less it's a no brainer to look elsewhere.
  • Asking a cyclist about Casati is a bit like asking a petrol-head if he has heard of Ferrari.

I guess the (Italian) company is maybe laking a UK distributor able to put the advertising muscle in.

It ain't no second-string name; top notch Italian along with your Colnago, Wilier, Pinarello, etc.

'Cicli Casati'.

Thanks Berk, I think I might have found my bike. :D
    Now all I need to do is get this Ilizarov frame of my leg!!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,494
    Casati are a small, family run frame building company based in Monza. They make approx 1500 frames a year, all of which are handbuilt at their factory. I've had the pleasure of visiting the factory on a number of occasions and they are very welcoming and happy to show you how they work.

The company was founded in 1920 and the third generation of the family are now doing the day to day running of the company. The older Signor Casati is considered to be one of the finest framebuilders of his generation and can still be found working at the factory most days.

I've owned four of them in the past ten years or so and still have this beautiful steel track bike;

IMG_2317_2_2.jpg

All of the bikes I've owned have been great to ride and I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting one.
  • Hi - I own a Casati Laser (steel) and can concur with Andyp's comments - lovely bikes, mine is an absolute pleasure to ride.

The guys at racescene are also very knowledgable and friendly - you cant go wrong really.

Expect a 2 month wait for the finished bike if you go down this route.