I got stopped by the Police for following road signs

2»

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    How did you miss the large "cyclists diversion" sign?

As per the OP I followed the signs until the end of the route. I didn't miss anything. However they don't take you all the way around the works. Instead you come out of a side road by the pool 20m short of the end of the coned-off lane and have to either go against the traffic (there is more than enough room) or go up the pavement (pushing of course).
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    @ OP you got stopped by the police for breaking the law
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Dav3m
    Dav3m Posts: 84
    glad I'm not the only one who got confused at the end of this "diversion". I'd just assumed i'd missed the last few signs along the way.

Really stupid move by whoever set them up.
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    I explained the situation and was brusquely told we would be fined, they asked for our names and addresses which we both refused to give. The arguing went on for a while (as several other cyclists rode by unchallenged), eventually one of them suggested I 'could just give a fake name/address' At this point we just remounted and pootled off having realised there was naff all they could do about it.

A cautionary note: not giving your name and address when being given a ticket can get you arrested. Otherwise, if you decide to ignore the fine, you can't be summonsed to court about it. Obviously, this is more likely to be used when dealing with 'more serious' offences, such as driving without insurance, etc. but it is possible.

Plus you're also failing to stop.

Hope that doesn't come across as righteous. Just wanted to make sure people are aware of potential consequences before they follow suit.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    s1lko wrote:
    A cautionary note: not giving your name and address when being given a ticket can get you arrested. Otherwise, if you decide to ignore the fine, you can't be summonsed to court about it. Obviously, this is more likely to be used when dealing with 'more serious' offences, such as driving without insurance, etc. but it is possible.

Plus you're also failing to stop.

I'm actually surprised the PSCOs didn't call in a real cop to deal with somebody who refused to give their name and address.