South of France- Cannes

Rouge Penguin
Rouge Penguin Posts: 347
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Just got back, lovely weeks holiday and the missus was glad it was a week away from the mistress.

So what happens the moment we walk out for breakfast on the first morning? A club ride rolls past the cafe on the beach front. She looks at me and says don't even think about it.

Over the week I saw many club rides and groups going past, where were they going? Next year I'm taking the bike and want an idea of routes, there was some nice looking mountains in the distance and a ride into Monaco wouldn't be out of the question. Is luberon worth riding/rideable.

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Done the Luberon cycleway which I was able to link to a Lavender Season trail (lots of websites ,intineries on where to see this)(June-July )It starts either in Cavaliion or Forqualquier.If going one way you can make the ride relatively uphill or downhill as you wish..The attraction of the area are its perched Viilages along it..Bonniuex,Saignon etc which involve short but very sharp climbs tro getv to them .I am just a slow dwaddle along rider and photographer more than a Ventoux junkie so it may not appeal to those who like a tough rides.If in Cannes or Nice I would also like to do The Gorges on Verdon..The route around the Gorge by bike is About 140Km .Cannes to Monaco via Juan les Pins, Antibbes and Nice along the coast at sea level is a nice run too.The Other way brings you to St Raphel which is a great coast ride and to St tropez.Trains are Bike friendly .The Film festival and Monaco Grand Prix on are on at the same time in May.
    http://www.beyond.fr/sports/veloluberon.html
    jc
  • c7jdg
    c7jdg Posts: 12
    From Cannes you were probably looking at the Col de Vence which is a very popular climb either from Vence or via Le Bar sur Loup. An alternative, and very quiet way down (or up), is through Coursegoules, Bezuadun-les-Alpes, Bouyoun and Le Broc to the valley of the river Var.
    There is a cycle path on the west side of the river from St Laurent du Var that is now complete as far as the bridge above St Martin-du-Var about 30km from the coast. Previously the roads up the Var valley were very unpleasant with traffic. This allows access to a wonderful road, the D17, through Gilette into the Roquestron valley. Better still is the high road above Gilette, the D27, from Toudon to Ascros and beyond. Take a look at the views on Google street view - the whole area is covered.
    The coast road to Menton is worth doing as a sight-seeing trip although the road surface is not great and the traffic even worse. Personally I would take the train to Menton and do Lance's training climb over the Col de la Madone returning to Nice via La Turbie along the haute corniche, the D2564. This is a very popular road with cyclists. Relatively quiet, wide and excellent surface.
    There is a train from Nice to Sospel that has bike storage. From Sospel it is 24km climb to the Col de Turini from where there are several routes back to the coast, a shorter route via the Col de Braus or an even easier option over the Col de Castillon to Menton.
    In summary, wonderful cycling and the joy of swimming in the Med when you finish.