London guided rides during tube strike - anyone involved?

bigbelly
bigbelly Posts: 83
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Newspapers and new websites have mentioned there are guided rides into London tomorow. Anyone involved?

Watch out for new commuters wobbling about the roads... :lol:

More the merrier in the end.. cut them some slack I reckon.
shame the rider doesn't match the bike...

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    saw some guides ourside norbury station. i doubt anyone would start cycling from there into central london just because of a strike. espcially as it's a main line station.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I read about this but took me a while to find out more info on it.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15598.aspx

I didn't notice an increase this morning but I get into London too early - will be interesting on the way home I suspect :D
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    nich wrote:
    I read about this but took me a while to find out more info on it.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15598.aspx

I didn't notice an increase this morning but I get into London too early - will be interesting on the way home I suspect :D

Interesting! Theres one from Ravenscourt park to Trafalgar Square at about the same time I live home. Easy scalps?
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    As a non-Londoner what does a guided ride entail? Is it like a bike version of a primary school walking train made up of adults?
    Steve C
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    sc999cs wrote:
    As a non-Londoner what does a guided ride entail? Is it like a bike version of a primary school walking train made up of adults?

Pretty much so

I think it is to assist motorists by rounding up the cyclists to make them a bigger target - less easy to miss and easier to abuse :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    sc999cs wrote:

Well last year over the summer the Mayor was running weekly guided rides on Friday from certain locations around London to particular business areas in Central. It was aimed mainly at people who were new to commuting in London, were scared of commuting or just wanted to tag along for the social aspect.

I actually came up behind one on my commute in one morning and it was like a mini peleton, must have been annoying the drivers behind, as you had so many cyclists all riding together! :lol:

They did have bibs for people to wear as well that say what it is.

I assume the people that TFL gets to lead the rides during the strike are probably the same people that did those rides, and no doubt they probably have some on hand for things involving the new bike hire scheme.

In regards to the Strike though, I can't imagine there will be enough bike guides at stations for every train or bus that comes in of people. There is nowhere near enough bike hire scheme bikes and you would think that anyone who was going to ride their bike probably was already familiar with the route.