gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
[midlifecrisis]

On a Monday morning:

eratap_beach.jpg

Not this:

Rain%20and%20Traffic.jpg

Where is my coffee and why do I have to chair some uninteresting weekly management meeting

In brighter news - should I take a job I have been offered in Toronto, Canada - anyone been there can tell me anything? I have only been to Vancouver.

[/midlifecrisis]

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah, it is B$£tard cold in the winter and sweltering in the summer. People try and head out to the lakes as much as possible in the summer.

My best mate is out there at the moment and is finding the adjustment a litle bit hard, but he has never lived abroad before. Toronto I found a bit "funny" when I lived there, it was kind of American, but not. I felt it was a bit materialistic - you know where someone comes up to you and the first question is "what do you do?" To see if you're someone they want to talk to.

Once you get to know people it is very friendly, there seemed a lot going on, it is an overnight flight from the UK, you are close to NY.

I wouldn't live there though - having lived in Bristol and Toronto, I'd choose Bristol!
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Central Toronto has always struck me as an oversized version of canary wharf. Public transport is weak and October - April the weather is cold, you won't be cycling. Post October, everyone lives underground

Northern suburbs of Toronto is largely gated estates, but you get a lot of property for your money!!

Southern burbs of Toronto are IMO much nicer.

Would agree with previous poster who said it is a bit american in style - but my sense is that there is more genuine warmth than the corporate `"have a nice day" culture in the states.

On the plus side it is only 4 hours flight to the carribean and about equivalent in cost to a european package holiday so you could get more time by the sun kissed beaches.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I can't think of anything worse!

Than cycling across sand! :wink:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    gtvlusso wrote:
    [midlifecrisis]

On a Monday morning:

eratap_beach.jpg

Not this:

Rain%20and%20Traffic.jpg

Where is my coffee and why do I have to chair some uninteresting weekly management meeting

In brighter news - should I take a job I have been offered in Toronto, Canada - anyone been there can tell me anything? I have only been to Vancouver.

[/midlifecrisis]

If I was offered a job in TO, I wouldn't even be asking that question, I would be bloody gone.

Toronto is a great city, a lot going for it great people, FANTASTIC transport (which Canadians may laugh at but when you look at this country it is brilliant). So much to do there all year round and even with the bitterly cold winters the world dosen't suddenly stop just because a bit of snow has fallen.

My experiances in a Toronto winter three years ago stood me in good stead in the winter we had this year and am now firmly of the opinion that there is no such thing as bad weather only bad personal preperation.

Do it I say, you'll be bringing up your family in one of the best environments possible.

Oh and they quite like cyclists in Toronto.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • What is it they say about Canada.....

The tragedy of Canada is that it had the opportunity to have the cuisine of France, the culture of Britain and the technology of the USA. It ended up with English cuisine, American culture and French technology.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Bit hard to ride over all that sand!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you go to Toronto, what about, in order of priority, Wilma & Mrs GTV?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • What is it they say about Canada.....

The tragedy of Canada is that it had the opportunity to have the cuisine of France, the culture of Britain and the technology of the USA. It ended up with English cuisine, American culture and French technology.

Hihi, this is hilarious. :D They say Canadians are like Americans but less loud and obnoxious. One of the managers in my company is Canadian and he always wiggles his head whenever he talks to you. (-; As for Quebec, same situation as in Belgium...

I have been living on the East Coast since 2004 and I literally hated for many reasons but the main ones are the weather, cannot mountain bike entire year and lack vineyards.... It does get very snowy and cold in Toronto so be prepared when you move. Personally, I am thinking about moving to England or California.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    redvee wrote:
    If you go to Toronto, what about, in order of priority, Wilma & Mrs GTV?

Well, I'll miss you Redvee.....!

I think kids come first and baby gtvlusso mk3 - my other 2 are in school now and with mum and partner, so, kinda sorted. The offer is very tempting;

In the words of Jeff Lebowski "lotta in's, lotta out's"....

I must admit that I am a bit sick of the rising costs in the UK, greed in certain professions, the whole non-competitive sports school thing p*sses me off - I just feel that I can give gtvlusso jnr mk3 a fair shot somewhere where we are all comfortable....it may be, that I am wrong!