Smart Lunar and Smart Polaris Lights

SlowingDown
SlowingDown Posts: 129
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Anyone know what there difference is between the:

SMART POLARIS 1/2 WATT LED SUPER FLASH REAR LIGHT
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/13136/Smart-Polaris-1-2-Watt-LED-Super-Flash-Rear-Light.html

and

SMART LUNAR R 1/2 WATT LED SUPER FLASH REAR LIGHT
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/13132/Smart-Lunar-R-1-2-Watt-Rear-Light.html

...other than shape and a few pence?!

I'd seen the polaris appear this year and wondered if it was replacing the lunar but it appears not. Just cant see why Smart would make two such similar lights?
===============================
Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
Tricross Sport: FCN 4
Cannondale R600: FCN 3
Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer

Comments

• Not sure hat the diference is, apart from the shape and the price, however a word of warning, I have found that Smart lights don't do well in wet weather. I've got the Lunar model and when it rains it can become very tempramental, switching itself off and on at random. When I get home I usually have to take the batteries out to let it dry out or simply to stop it from turning itself on and running the batts down.

The 1/2 watt model is better in this respect than the cheaper models, I have a couple of similar shaped Smart lights but without the 1/2 watt LED and one of them has stopped working completely after commuting in the rain, even after being dried out.

Although I find Cat Eye front lights to be a waste of time, I never had a problem like this with the rears
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Not sure hat the diference is, apart from the shape and the price, however a word of warning, I have found that Smart lights don't do well in wet weather. I've got the Lunar model and when it rains it can become very tempramental, switching itself off and on at random. When I get home I usually have to take the batteries out to let it dry out or simply to stop it from turning itself on and running the batts down.

The 1/2 watt model is better in this respect than the cheaper models, I have a couple of similar shaped Smart lights but without the 1/2 watt LED and one of them has stopped working completely after commuting in the rain, even after being dried out.

Although I find Cat Eye front lights to be a waste of time, I never had a problem like this with the rears
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited September 2010
    Not sure hat the diference is, apart from the shape and the price, however a word of warning, I have found that Smart lights don't do well in wet weather.

A few moments to smear vaseline either side of the gasket between the two halfs of the unit solves this.

There's now a 1 watt version of the Lunar out. I'll be getting a couple..... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Smart ... 360053638/
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Never really had a problem with the 1/2 watt lunars (I'm replacing two that got trashed in a crash recently) in wet weather. The button is rubbish and on 2 of the 4 I've owned I've had to flex the casing around the 'push' button so that it wasn't perpetually on - after that they were fine though.
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
  • I have several Polaris ones - love them. they have a separate (blue) button for switching on/off, mounted behind the light. I've never had a problem.

I had one Lunar one. It was temperamental. The on/off/flash button is a microswitch under the plastic casing at the bottom. Mine randomly rotated through the settings over every bump in the road :roll: Perversely, it was stubborn as hell whenever I wanted to change it.

I flexed the casing to help. It did, but it also cracked the case.

I've just read the Wiggle reviews of the 1W Lunar. I fail to see how nearly blinding the cars behind you is going to keep you safe!
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Not had any bother with my 1/2 Lunar - been used in rain, snow, sleet and left on the windowsill outside for a fortnight of rain by mistake and it worked fine.

No problems with switching off etc at all. The casing was redesigned more recently so to stop the issues that some people above described.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Not sure hat the diference is, apart from the shape and the price, however a word of warning, I have found that Smart lights don't do well in wet weather.

A few moments to smear vaseline either side of the gasket between the two halfs of the unit solves this.

There's now a 1 watt version of the Lunar out. I'll be getting a couple..... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Smart ... 360053638/

Seems a bit of a pain to have to smear Vaseline round the seal after every battery change. I was thinking of wrapping it in cling film or something... Looks like Wiggle is the only one stocking the 1 watt light at the moment and they're out of stock
  • rolf_f
    Seems a bit of a pain to have to smear Vaseline round the seal after every battery change. I was thinking of wrapping it in cling film or something... Looks like Wiggle is the only one stocking the 1 watt light at the moment and they're out of stock

Don't think you have to every time. I doubt that the cling film approach would save much time. Nice thing about these lights is the batteries do last a while.

Ribble also list the 1 Watt but they are out of stock too :lol: Still, doesn't matter for a few weeks.....
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I think the 1w hasn't been released yet as Ribble list it as 2011 Smart Lunar

There is also a new 2 x 1/2w light which should be equally bright
  • Rolf F wrote:

Don't think you have to every time. I doubt that the cling film approach would save much time. Nice thing about these lights is the batteries do last a while.

Ribble also list the 1 Watt but they are out of stock too :lol: Still, doesn't matter for a few weeks.....

I was just thinking about the Vaseline thing.... I would have thought that an oil based lubricant like Vaseline would eventually weaken the rubber seal... Rubber and oil don't mix! That's why you're not supposed to let oil from your chain drip onto the tyres...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    To echo others comments, my lunar has been replaced, it didn't survive very long before it started malfunctioning, same for a friends, I won't bother buying again...
  • rolf_f
    I was just thinking about the Vaseline thing.... I would have thought that an oil based lubricant like Vaseline would eventually weaken the rubber seal... Rubber and oil don't mix! That's why you're not supposed to let oil from your chain drip onto the tyres...

Might have to have a look at the gasket to remind myself but I'm not sure it is rubber. Seemed more like a soft plastic. Can't help but think proper rubber would seal better anyway!

I'll post if I do have long term problems but by then I daresay Smart will have a 10 watt rear light that runs all winter on a single AAA and costs £5 :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:

Might have to have a look at the gasket to remind myself but I'm not sure it is rubber. Seemed more like a soft plastic. Can't help but think proper rubber would seal better anyway!

I'll post if I do have long term problems but by then I daresay Smart will have a 10 watt rear light that runs all winter on a single AAA and costs £5 :lol:

Mine's a "rubber" seal, although like all rubber these days, it's a synthetic rather than pure rubber plant rubber, oh well, let me know if you have probs
  • my lunars have been fine through the last 12 months +
  • rolf_f
    Mine's a "rubber" seal, although like all rubber these days, it's a synthetic rather than pure rubber plant rubber, oh well, let me know if you have probs

As the lighting season is beginning, I thought I might as well clean the seal up and re apply the petroleum jelly and take a pic while I was at it. I think it shows the seal to still be in good condition.

P1070578.jpg
  • The Polaris looks identical to the rear light in the B Spoke set that I bought last year. If so, the difference between that and the Lunar is the pattern of the flashing mode.

The kidney-shaped polaris has two weaker LEDs that flash a few times before they flash in unison with the biggie on the fourth beat in the bar. The big one lights at intervals just quicker than once a second. The Lunar, by comparison just strobes like an epilepsy sufferer's nightmare.

I suppose that the Polaris batteries will last longer, and it is ideal as a backup or second light. I'd prefer the Lunar if I could have only one, though.