Next week will be a real test of my biking commitment!

SamWise1972
SamWise1972 Posts: 220
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I commute to work, but not quite the same way as the rest of you. I'm a consultant, so I'm working at different places, all round the country, every day. I have a folding bike (a Downtube, about to be supplemented by a Brompton, purely for the ease of carriage on inter-city trains), and a number of regular road bikes for London use. Generally, I'm hopping on a train equipped for the day, or a couple of days at most, and I use my Blackberry as a satnav to make sure I get to where I'm going.

Next week, I have to be in London, at a venue in Bloomsbury, on Monday, so I'll cycle to Southampton station, get the train to town, ride from Waterloo to Bloomsbury. Easy. After I'm done there, I need to be in Denham, near Uxbridge, to depending how adventurous I feel, I'll either hop a train out there, or perhaps cycle it. Tues, Weds and Thurs are there, then at the end of the day on Thurs, it's back on the train to Cambridge, where I'll stay the night with a friend, then a 10 mile ride over to Cambourne, which cannot be reached by train at all, and including the ride, can't be reached in time for a 9 o'clock start. End of the day, 10 miles back to Cambridge, train to London, ride across town, train to Southampton, HOME AT LAST!

So, that's quite a lot of finding new places, a lot of train travel, but more than anything else, a lot of luggage! I ride in my work gear, but I'll need 4 shirts in my Highson Suit Commute backpack, plus underwear etc. Evenings are casual on the residential course, so I'll need jeans, 3 t-shirts, casual shoes. There's a pool, so I'll need swimming shorts, plus all my work stuff, a book to read on all those train journeys, laptop, etc etc etc. I have all the bags necessary to carry those, but this'll be by far my most ambitious week! Wish me luck.

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck indeed!
  • Just looking at the routes from Central London to Denham. Anyone cycled on the A40/Great West Road? I'm not sure I'm keen.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Just looking at the routes from Central London to Denham. Anyone cycled on the A40/Great West Road? I'm not sure I'm keen.

Probably better to go via Uxbridge Road, then Oxford Road to Denham.
  • good luck with that.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Just looking at the routes from Central London to Denham. Anyone cycled on the A40/Great West Road? I'm not sure I'm keen.

Probably better to go via Uxbridge Road, then Oxford Road to Denham.

Yes, I think you're right. That's a decent enough road, and doesn't add much to the journey.
  • Post yourself some clean undies and shirts to meet you halfway maybe?
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    Post yourself some clean undies and shirts to meet you halfway maybe?
    But keep hold of the swimming shorts - they may come in handy if it rains during your commute :wink: