London: New Cross one way system - ooooh

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Some interesting changes to the layout of New Cross when I went through there this morning. I didn't realise that the changes were going to result in the removal of the one way system.

Hopefully that will shave a few seconds off my commute. It might make it dodgy London bound, though, with buses for the Old Kent Road pulling across from the stops after the bus station to the right hand lane (particularly the bendy buses, as they seem to have a knack of blocking things up).

Comments

• Ah, so that's what those traffic jams there were all about. I should go and have a look myself but is the road to Peckham/Camberwell also 2-way now? I can't imagine how they could remove that part of the 1-way system without a major rearrangement.
  • Specialized Needs
    Specialized Needs Posts: 802
    edited September 2010
    Ah, so that's what those traffic jams there were all about. I should go and have a look myself but is the road to Peckham/Camberwell also 2-way now? I can't imagine how they could remove that part of the 1-way system without a major rearrangement.
    Difficult to explain - I hope I do it justice. Also I only cycled it from Lewisham to OKR, so some of it is supposition.

Map here

The bit around New Cross Station/Goldsmiths is the same, it is the Queens Road/Kender St/Besson St bit that has changed. The key junction is the one where Peyps Road joins. Where it used to be a bus-only right turn when going West along New Cross Road, it is now a double set of lights with all traffic allowed to turn right if wanted.

Queens Road approaching this junction from Camberwell is now 2 way, so you don't have to turn down Kender St and Besson St. I haven't seen yet what they've done with that junction. Besson St was deserted when I looked down it. I am presuming that only Kender St is one way in that area now.

Edit: typos
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    It's weird. But it doesn't half make my journey back from Sainsbury's quicker. :D
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    There seems to be a trend at the moment to remove one-way systems that were originally introduced to aid traffic flow and safety. I wonder what the next trend will be?

This is normally part of my commute, but I've changed my route while all the works were underway; I'll have to ride it and see how it feels now.
  • rml380z wrote:
    This is normally part of my commute, but I've changed my route while all the works were underway; I'll have to ride it and see how it feels now.
    There was still a bit of a backlog this morning from the bus station back to Sainsbury's/New Cross Gate. This wasn't helped by the policeman who had pulled over a scaffold lorry, consequently blocking the nearside lane :roll:, whereas he could have pulled it over 30 yds further up in the long bus stop, which ould have allowed two lanes of traffic to approach the two separate lanes of the traffic lights.

Edit to add: the change should make the Peckham to New Cross (Eastbound) route a lot more friendly through that section.
  • There is talk of removing the Wandsworth one way system too. let us know how this one works out.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Well, I reckon it knocks .2 of a mile off of my route into work, which is probably not a bad thing. It would be nice if all of it had been re-surfaced but no, there's a few lumpy bits left behind but I liked the change. I noticed that either a) lot of traffic goes to Peckham or b) no-one has noticed the change as it was virtually deserted when I came through at 08:45

There was a shed load of traffic all the way from Lee High Road to New Cross as it was but nothing on OKR lol. Time to work this morning was pretty good considering all the traffic & TB being vertical, so perhaps its a change for the better.
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    from Lee High Road to New Cross
    Route twin.

I think I've asked you before, but what do you ride? I think from what I've read that you are usually later than me in the mornings. I tend to hit New Cross between 8 and 8.15 at the moment. Although I'm trying to get out earlier now that schools are back, so my wife can avoid the school cars and buses on her route.

Coming home I'll usually join OKR near Tesco's at about 5.30pm give or take. I crawl up Eltham Hill around 6pm :roll:
  • Pufftmw
    Yeah, I'm a bit lazier than you in the mornings & don't leave til about 8:30 so NC about 8:40 On the way back, then I could be any time as I have things like karate and training after work so nearer 20:30 give or take a bit.

I'm riding the Gary Fisher (click photo below) or a Black Ghost roadie - mainly the Ghostie though :)
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    Yeah, I'm a bit lazier than you in the mornings & don't leave til about 8:30 so NC about 8:40 On the way back, then I could be any time as I have things like karate and training after work so nearer 20:30 give or take a bit.

I'm riding the Gary Fisher (click photo below) or a Black Ghost roadie - mainly the Ghostie though :)
    Ah, the bane of my life - a fast hybrid. No doubt if we ever meet you'll be on the Gary Fisher and whizz past me, hardly noticing me, despite me being on a predominantly white Specialized Tricross, red pannier(s), and flashing front and rear lights (all year).

Hopefully my helmet will protect some of my scalp :?
  • Pufftmw
    Hybrid? Its an old MTB with road tyres & no lock out on the forks lol :D
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    Hybrid? Its an old MTB with road tyres & no lock out on the forks lol :D
    Make me feel even better, won't you! :?

:)

Mind you, in all seriousness, I imagine the front suspension could be quite useful for OKR and New Cross!
  • Pufftmw
    Got the video working today so here is the new stretch of road :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28YG94PTn70

Note all the traffic on the left heading towards Peckham and an empty Old Kent Road...

:)
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Have you fallen foul of the lights at the OKR/Besson Street junction yet? Lights turn green, but the pedestrian ones at the other side of the junction stay red for a further 30 seconds or so. Of course, everyone just piles through like the lights aren't there.
  • Pufftmw
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Have you fallen foul of the lights at the OKR/Besson Street junction yet? Lights turn green, but the pedestrian ones at the other side of the junction stay red for a further 30 seconds or so. Of course, everyone just piles through like the lights aren't there.

Today I was and I watched everyone riding through without a care in the world + a car...

This is the same stretch of road at the same time except using a different (helmet mounted) camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIxBf6v8SqM