Why I bought a Specialized Tricross Sport

sandyforster
sandyforster Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi All,
I have been trawling these forums and others for hours on end in a quest to find my perfect bike. I thought I would share the experience because no doubt someone else will be in my position.
I need a bike for
20 Mile round trip commute in London
Winter Commuting
The odd Sportif riding and charity rides
The intention to do some credit card touring around the UK national cycle route and hopefully France next year.

In terms of a bike I need and the amount of time in the saddle, it will do 90% commuting, 7% Sportif/Distance cycling with friends and 3% touring

My budget was around £800 and the bike needed Tiagra minimum, Mudguard clearance, 32mm Tyre clearance, rack support and still be relatively sporty.

I nearly went Dawes Galaxy Touring bike but pulled out last minute as I didn't want a heavy touring bike for a mostly commute.

So I nearly went Ribble Audax but it was a month waiting list and it didn't give me the flexibility in the tyre size over 25mm.

I didn't like the option of a standard roadbike as I couldn't find one with tyre size flexibility.

Finally I decided a Cyclocross bike was right as It offered a drop bar position suitable for commuting but with plenty of flexibility for my weekends and holidays. I went for a Tricross as it was in stock for starters, I got a cracking price of £670 for the Sport and they have fitted it with all the bells an whistles such as front pannier attachments and top bar brakes. I would have just as easily got a Kona Jake but couldn't find it in stock.

So, I have since taken off the knobblies and put on 25mm Schawable Durano Plus as my commuting tyre and I rode the London to Brighton night ride which was my first proper ride. The bike was absolutely amazing and completely up to the task. I did the 60mile ride in 4.5 hr of which the first half hour was very slow and controlled and only about 2 miles. I was in the top 20 of finishing and I didn't recognise any other cyclocross bikes at the finish before me.

For winter I plan to keep the 25mm Durano Plus tyres on and install mudguards. I am going to opt not to put a rack on and get a Carradice Nelson saddle bag instead to make it easier to convert to a roadbike on the weekend.

So, for those who are after a winter commuter capable of keeping up with the best on the road on the weekend. I would highly recommend a lightweight cyclocross. Basically, it is just a slightly heavier roadbike with funny brakes.

Enjoy

Sandy

Comments

• I'm looking for a Tricross at the moment - it looks you got a fantastic deal, where did you buy it from?
  • +1 for the tri-cross, absolutely brilliant commuting bike which can take a pounding.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • I'm picking my tricross up today, the missus picked hers up on saturday. Mines for commuting and cycling holidays. They are a great bike my o.h did a 28 mile ride on sunday her first time on drops and that kind of distance and she loved it.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Welcome to the Dark-side!!! :twisted: :twisted:
  • Now we just wait for someone to start a "Why buy a tricross" thread! LOL
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • +1 from me for the Tricross Sport also.
    Got one on the cycle to work scheme this summer, already have a Sirrus hybrid and a Roubaix, but this bike can do everything, and if I had to have just one bike, this would be it. Swapped the cyclocross tyres for 28mm UltraGatorskins and its quite fast, although the canti brakes dont quite have the stopping power of the other bikes.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I have one also. It's been great for me but the brakes are sensitive to toe.

I have to regularly toe mine or suffer a dangerous amount of brake shudder
  • Sounds great - I get all those benefits too, from a Boardman Pro CX, although to be fair the Boardman did cost £300 more than the Specialized mentioned here. I run the Specialized 'Borough' 32mm tyres, which are great, and a snazzy pair of white RKS Mudguards. But you're all perfectly correct - Cyclocross bikes are THE solution if you want a multi-purpose bike - I regularly ride the Thames towpath on mine, sometimes in extremely muddy conditions, and it's just so reliable and suitable.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I too got a Tricross SPort on the C2W scheme, late this summer, I was intending to use it mainly for commuting, keeping my was-a-dawes-galaxy-but-now-much-hacked bike for 'best' but it's turned out the other way round - I lurve the Tricross so much. Mine has a Tortec rear rack, bog-standard SKS guards and a Brooks B17.
    I was already a convert to bar-top brake levers, and find them great on the TriX, but, do miss the ability to bung a bar-bag on, and there's the issue with lights - I'd be interested to hear how others have gone about mounting lights - I've gone for a Minoura swing grip dropped from the bar extension - but it's plug-ugly.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    I'm looking for a Tricross at the moment - it looks you got a fantastic deal, where did you buy it from?

Most retailers are offering 2010 Specialized bikes at 20% off to clear stocks ready for 2011 range.

See here for example...

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... ort%202010
  • I bought the Tricross Comp back in 2009.

Looking for an 'all rounder' to cope with winter commutes and audax / sportive rides in poor weather. Saving my beloved Cannondale for better days! Well, the Tricross had 2 bottle mounts & mudguard eyelets / clearance. Plus it had rack mounts (If I ever go touring!) and off road capabilities! Versatile?

I did consider touring bike options - but too boring in the "look's" department.

Overall fairly pleased - 2,300 miles to date and rising - Very disappointed at first, with the 32mm tyres it felt more like my old steel framed MTB. After fitting 25mm slicks it's rides much better! Can't see a need for anything wider - unless I went off-road.

Bad points?
    * Braking not the best - no judder to date - but not as powerful as a normal road bike calipers. More dificult to adjust - well for me anyway!
    * Weight - not too bad naked but once kited out for winter I'm looking at 22-24 lbs depending upon the lighting system. Yes, it's the same for all bikes, but my other bikes are lighter to begin with.
    * Wheels - fairly strong but a harsh ride and freehub metal very soft. Fitted a larger 'bail-out' gear at an early stage and cassette had already cut into the freehub.
    * Paint durability - frame finish not that tough. Used my lead acid battery lights on each of my bikes at one point or another - this is the only one where the cross-bar bag wore a patch of paint away! Now fitted foam to pad out the battery.
    * Gear levers? Mine had the' LH 105 lever problem' - but it was replaced under warrenty. Thx Hargroves!
    * Seat? Didn't get on with mine - fitted a Fizik Arione saddle.
    * Tyres? Swapped out early for 25mm slicks but not before a number of punctures.

A friend has recently fitted Fulcrum's to his Tricross and first impresssions are very good.

I've grown to like it, but would I buy it now of given the choice today? Not sure. Other than the lever problem it's been reliable which was the reason I boughrt a bike to replace my (then) current winter hack - which was 15 years old!!
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    curium

Is yours pre-2010 by any chance?

If so, then you should try and get hold of a front brake hanger as fitted to the 2010 Tricross onwards. This could prevent any of the brake judder you are experiencing - my 2010 Comp has had zero vibration or juddering. Your local Spesh dealer may be able to get one for you.

Details of hanger can be found HERE
  • I got a tricross comp 2010 for riding to and from work and to run along side my mtb, i have ended up riding the tricross more than the mtb. I have even been talking to British Cycling about running tricross events at work and they seem very interested. I got the bug i guess.
  • Mines sat in the kitchen all shiny like because I have to wait in for citylink to deliver goodies.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Mine's pretty fab too.
    Fitted with 23mm tyres it's as fast as my other road bikes with same position.
    Has plenty of clearance for 'guards and wider CX tyres for winter.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Thanks for the responses.
    Sounds like a bunch of happy Tricross users out there. Makes me glad for my purchase.
    I am now looking for a smaller frame version for my wife so she can tour too.
    I used the Hargroves cycles website (link already posted), printed out and walked into Evans. They honoured it and it was in stock at my local evans. Too easy.

I have put 25mm durano on mine and plan to make a few more modifications before winter.
    Can any suggest a mudguard for the tricross which is good for touring and 28-32mm wheels and can be taken off reasonably easily for when i want my bike naked on the weekends? 10min job max.

Secondly, I have yet to put a rack on this bike, even though I have one spare. I like not having a rack on it and keeping it light however I am not enjoying riding with a backpack. Anyone had experience in using Carradice saddle bags with the SQR mount as an alternative to a rack? My gear is a shirt box, tie, gym gear/ shoes and a lunchbox, D-lock and the possible laptop. But I could just use my backpack on those odd laptop days.

Any advice?

Thanks

Sandy
  • millimole wrote:
    I too got a Tricross SPort on the C2W scheme, late this summer, I was intending to use it mainly for commuting, keeping my was-a-dawes-galaxy-but-now-much-hacked bike for 'best' but it's turned out the other way round - I lurve the Tricross so much. Mine has a Tortec rear rack, bog-standard SKS guards and a Brooks B17.
    I was already a convert to bar-top brake levers, and find them great on the TriX, but, do miss the ability to bung a bar-bag on, and there's the issue with lights - I'd be interested to hear how others have gone about mounting lights - I've gone for a Minoura swing grip dropped from the bar extension - but it's plug-ugly.

I just bought a Smart 25 light set from Amazon and it just slips under the bar-top brake cable. Not much room but a snug and nice fit.
    Never thought about the barbag issue. It does have front pannier mounts so perhaps that is a workaround.

I have to admit I love my bartop brakes. First time i've used them and don't think I could go back for a commuter.
  • I'm looking to buy one second hand. Is there any advantage of going for the 2010 model over older versions. My understanding is the brake judder issue has been resolved on the 2010 models?

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

Is there anything about this bike to be aware of?

There are other options to the Tricross however It seems the Tricross it the only one that appears on the 2nd hand market.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I went for the Planet X Uncle John Cross bike - 999 it was but its a beauty. It came with 22m slicks and I did 120 mile sportive on it with no bother. The Cantilevers seemed better than road brakes to get me down a very steep, wet and dodgy welsh descent. It easily kept up with CF road bikes for the rest of the route.

I fitted it with some sturdy 32mm Schwalbes for some offroading and its great for that - even at night off road. It is a bit harder with them on the road though, but you dont notice it that much on the flat - just when the road goes uphill.

It really will go anywhere.
  • Aye the PX Uncle John looks a beaut too. Bit on the heavy side though.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Mudslinger,

In terms of 2010 or earlier models I wouldn't be too worried. Read enough forums and none of the braking systems seem to work on this bike!! I've got a 2009 Comp with canti's but a friend bought the same model a few momths earlier and it came with Vee brakes (since changed to mini vee's). The only difference between my bike and the 2010 brakes is the front hanger. It's now hung off the forks rather than the top of the head tube. I've not had any problems - and some say the judder might be related to larger frame sizes - but I can change to 2010 spec fairly easily - new brake cable and a different bracket!

Other than that - watch out for any low mileage 2009 105 spec models. There was a bad batch of LH shifters which fail around the 1,000 mile mark. But this iisn't Tricross specific - it can appliy to any 2009 105 bike.

My advice would be to base your buying decision on the condition & price rather than stick to any one model year.

Chris
  • Thanks for the advice Chris. I'm currently watching 2 on ebay that are within an hours drive. One is the basic 10 triple model & the other is a better spec'd 09 model. Hopefully I'll be successful with one of them.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth