Shock exclusive - bike company drops prices on 2011 models

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 60,757
edited September 2010 in MTB general
First time I've seen a price drop on the next year model (with no major change in standard of kit) in a while:-
http://www.whytebikes.com/2010/19trail.html
http://www.whytebikes.com/2011/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-010-11

£150-odd off the Alloy 19 and for people with deep pockets, £800 off the 19Ti...

Credit to Whyte? Or were they were just overpriced in the first place? :)
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    As the second credit crunch dip is on the way, wonder if that is clever move?
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • my lbs manager says industry figures suggest the high end mtb market bubble has popped ie sales of £2k bikes are dropping. Could be manufacturers will either have to drop prices for 2011 and then reduce production, maintain exclusivity and high prices for 2012(like Orange/Whyte? have always done)
  • maybe because they just didn't sell enough bikes?
  • Not that any of the two were exactly "cheap" bikes, so yes, expensive to begin with and just a little shaved from the prices
  • Stevo_666
    maybe because they just didn't sell enough bikes?
    That's what I was trying to get at with the question about them being overpriced.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Not that any of the two were exactly "cheap" bikes, so yes, expensive to begin with and just a little shaved from the prices
    The Ti version is 20% off - that's a quite a good 'shave'. Though £4k for a HT is pretty steep and when On-One started knocking out XT spec Ti HT's again recently for half that price, they maybe Whyte realised they were being a bit greedy?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The ti version reduction is welcome (I'm in the market for a new bike), but it's still £1200 more than an On-One Ti 456 with full XT. That's pretty tempting!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    on one sell direct, cutting out a distrubuter and a profit margin so can put their frames at stupid prices, which is why the inbred is such a good deal. boardman are pretty much the same, they go through halfords direct.

for the majority of other companies they have to have a distributer, so the company has to make money and so does the distributer, so the prices increase. the entire whyte is imo very good value this year, particularly the fs bikes, the T120 and the 146, and the 905,901 and 19 alloy are fantastic bikes at great prices, i expect them to sell very quickly this year
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's an unusual move, they were good value anyway!

The Trek Top Fuel is up £500 to £6000, the S-Works Epic will be £6200 (up £700) when the VAT goes up. It's silly money for bikes really!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    popstar wrote:
    As the second credit crunch dip is on the way,
    bloody hope not!
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    popstar wrote:
    As the second credit crunch dip is on the way,
    bloody hope not!

The first one never went away.
  • Yes, I'm very tempted by the Ti at that price. I was planning to upgrade my 19 steel to full XT over the winter but instead I might put the money towards the Ti and demote the steel to number two/mud bike and leave the SRAM on it :D
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • dodgy
    Anyone idea how much the Whyte 19 Ti weighs for 2011 (or even last years model the 2010)? Is it £1200 better than the on-one Ti 456? both frames are Lynskey I think?
  • The 2010 19 Ti weighed 24.2lbs. Pretty convinced it's Lynskey.

Compared to some of the big boys out there Whyte are producing very good value bikes (and have been for a few years).

Some of the top offerings from Spesh and Trek look a right rip off compared to something like the new 146 Works.

Maybe it's because they not really a boutique brand anymore that they can afford to cut better deals with component makers? After all they've tripled that amount of models that they offer this year.
  • dodgy
    Hmm, the On-One is pretty close in weight, it's definitely a better deal I reckon.
  • dodgy wrote:
    Hmm, the On-One is pretty close in weight, it's definitely a better deal I reckon.
    I have to say that if I wasn't already a Whyte hardtail owner I'd probably go for the On-One! The reason I won't is because I already have the Whyte frame in steel and absolutely love the way it handles and fits me.

I can't imagine that the On-One could suit me any better so I think it's sensible to stick to what I know rather than take a chance - even if it costs me more!
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • dodgy
    But the frame is going to be more or less the same anyway? They're both built by Lynskey in Tennessee.
  • dodgy wrote:
    But the frame is going to be more or less the same anyway? They're both built by Lynskey in Tennessee.
    The geometry of the frames seems very similar but the shape is different. In particular the Whyte has very graceful seat stays (as does the 19 steel) - which supposedly give a softer ride. The On-One looks more functional and agricultural.

The Whyte also has an XTR rear mech and shifters and Hope X2 brakes whereas the On-One is all XT. It's probably worth a few quid more than the On-One but not £1200. The difference is due to using a distributor and bike shops as opposed to selling on line.

The On-One definitely seems the sensible choice on paper but I expect my heart will win over my head :lol:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • dodgy
    I think the On-one 456 then use the change to get a really special set of wheels for it.
  • dodgy wrote:
    I think the On-one 456 then use the change to rent Jennifer Thompson for a night.
    Good thinking! 8)
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10

• Some of the top offerings from Spesh and Trek look a right rip off compared to something like the new 146 Works.

Amen. Just cancelled an order for a Remedy 9.9 after seeing the 146 works ;)
    Kona Kula custom build hardtail
    Whyte 146 Works
    Pinarello FP2
    Kona AA 1x9 rigid
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    JonKula wrote:

Some of the top offerings from Spesh and Trek look a right rip off compared to something like the new 146 Works.

Amen. Just cancelled an order for a Remedy 9.9 after seeing the 146 works ;)

That does look pretty awesome to be fair
  • dodgy
    Looks like Whyte made an error on their web-site for the 19 Ti, it's not £3195 - it's actually £3495! They've just corrected it.