london mtber
london mtber Posts: 2
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I'd like to ask a question/start a discussion:

What is best as an all round MTB lube?

Dry Teflon based i.e. Finish Line Dry Lube

or

Wax based i.e. Finish Line Krytech Wax Lube

I know the obvious pros and cons like water resistance and things but I just wanted to open it up and see what people prefer to use. Especially as the winter season is looming will you keep the same lube? or go for a wet one?

Thoughts?

Personally, I've used Finish Line Dry Lube in the past but find that it attracts a bit too much muck for my liking, however, it's always treated me well through the winter months.
Hills don't exist in London.

Comments

• I use wet lube all year round as i do alot of muddy riding, and it seems to clean the drivetrain of crap as i go along.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    just changed from summer dry wax lube to winter finish line wet.
    collects more muck but will last 3-4 weeks between applications.

edit ; and welcome to the forum. :D
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    biff55 wrote:
    just changed from summer dry wax lube to winter finish line wet.
    collects more muck but will last 3-4 weeks between applications.

edit ; and welcome to the forum. :D

I use Fenwiks wet lube but clean and re-lube after every ride. Maybe i'm a bit to anul about my chain and sprokets, but Just the thought of not cleaning my chain for 3-4 weeks sends shivers up my spine.
    For the record only ride mtb once a week on average.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    i'm a fan of white lightning epic ride, the in between one, lasts a helluva lot longer than their dry wax lube, and keeps the chain a lot cleaner than wet ride.

not sure where it falls on the Wax-PolyTetraFluoroEthylene lube scale.
    Fancy a brew?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i use finish line wet lube all year round, works for me.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • i use finish line wet, the weather here is pretty unpredictable! and the trails some times require deep river crossings where a chain soaking is inevitable! :o
    I still can't understand why I want a singlespeed steel hardtail when I already have a full-susser with 27 gears.
  • I use Muc Off wax lube or the White Lightening.

Find Wax lubes keep your chain very clean as it clears, the only downside is regualr rewaxing. but find it just performs better all round.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Squirt.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    wax lube is for dry climates, we don't live in one.

I use chainsaw oil
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I just got some of the White Lightning clean ride wax lube to try it out because I'm sick of de-greasing and cleaning my chain.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cavegiant wrote:

I use chainsaw oil

Well for a lube that you reckon that shouldn't work, it seems to be proving you wrong on my bike.
  • wax except for the wettest / snow conditions then FLW.

Squirt is crap in the wet, White Lightning Clean Ride being better. Squirt lasting longer in everything but wet. I wouldn't change back to using FLW / FLD lubes for the bulk of the year now for conditions in the peaks though, millstone grit destroys everything, and in an oil paste form, doubly so. wax takes the edge off it nicely.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    cavegiant wrote:

I do, well for about 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time it comes down in stairrods...recently changed to the Krytech Wax Silver and so far really pleased with the results, cassette and derailler seem to stay much cleaner compared to the old 3 in 1 approach.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I use Muc Off wax lube or the White Lightening.

Find Wax lubes keep your chain very clean as it clears, the only downside is regualr rewaxing. but find it just performs better all round.
    Squirt here too

It does tend to run dry and squeaky after about 3-4 hours in the wet though. And you do need to lube every ride, but it works very well and the chain and cassette are lovely and clean all the time!