campagnola shamal ultra 2 way fit

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
hi looking to buy campy shamal ultra 2 way fit upgrading from fulcrum 1 anyone have views on them or stick with fulcrum maybe zero cheers
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    i think shamal and zero,s are virtually the same wheel
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have Shamal Ultras and love them, if I wanted tubeless then I would have bought the tubular, just fantastic wheels, go for them. 8)
  • +1 on the shamals; ive the ultra 2's have run both clincher and tubeless. The bearing adjustment is the best system i've come across (can adjust on the bike, with none of the old "taking up the slack" nonsense)

Though, I think also that the Fulcrum zeros are very very similar

jon
  • Honestly mate, I wouldn't bother with either seeing as you're already on Fulcrum 1. I have the Shamals ( Two Way Fit ) and I love them to bits, but I've had to borrow a mates Fulcrum 1s while my Shamals were in for a service and to be honest, there is absolutely no difference.

Yes the Shamals & Zeros have a carbon fairing on the hubs, 2010 versions have ceramic bearings ( bet you wont tell the difference ), but other than that, they are IDENTICAL to your Fulcrum Ones.

Spend your money on a frameset upgrade or put it towards a powermeter or cycling workshop in the canaries.

As for the tubeless aspect of the Shamals, I ran Hutch Fusion 2s for nearly a year, and yes they were great, and held up to everything I could throw at them, never flatted once, however, they always felt a little wooden. I'm now running Veloflex Corsa 22 open clinchers with latex tubes and its like a new bike, waaaaaay better ride and grip, ok they dont last as long but didn't expect them to. Just about to pop on some Vittoria Open Pave CG for the winter. I will not be going back to tubeless unless a few other manufacturers provide some decent tyre choice.
  • Interesting responses. The hubs and "feel" of these wheels is very very similar.

However the actual weights are different, and I've seen people on this forum justify upgrades on smaller weight differentials. Actuals vary of course, but there is over 100g betwen these wheelsets.

The spokes are also different. The R1s have huge flared spokes, the shamals are thinner and not flared.

of the two, i'd much prefer the shamals, which I think are the best of the mid (low) profile alu spoked campag/fulcrum wheelsets. perhaps the racing zero tub is better, but i'm assuming the OP wants clinchers.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I've got the Eurus (effectively the same as the Fulcrum 1s) and have been humming and hawing for ages about whether I can justify buying the shamals and moving the eurus to my second/winter bike... By all accounts shamals/zeros are just slightly lighter versions of the eurus/ones, and the performance is much the same. I've yet to hear anyone claim they've tried both and can notice a significant difference. Still, I wish I'd gone for it when the 2009 shamals were going on ebay for 499...

What's the consensus on 2 way fit? Is tubless going to take off eventually (tyres from more manufacturers?) and if so, is it certain that any new tubless systems are going to be compatible with current tubeless wheels?
  • neeb - I've tried 07 EURUS and 07 Shamal on the same bike. The EURUS rear felt stiffer, and I believe it tests as a fair bit stiffer too. If I wasn't so weight conscious I'd be on Eurus's.
  • The actual real weight difference is a lot less. Check out Competitive Cyclist for some actual weights, in the particular wheelsets they have weighed, there is only 20g difference between the Eurus and the Shamals, my own Shamals were 45g less than theirs, but this goes to show you that buying an almost identical wheelset purely based on weight can be very disappointing when you actually get them and weigh them.

I'm sure in the above scenario, the Shamals probably had more factory grease than the Eurus, and so the weight saving from the carbon hub fairing was offset a little, but the point is, its the hubs that are making the difference, and only a small one at that. If it were the rims, it would be a totally different matter.

Just one interesting point about the flared spokes on the Fulcrums versus the straight ones on the Shamals. I was sure the Fulcrums were going to be tricky in crosswinds when I saw those big flared spokes, but to my surprise, they actually handled crosswinds much better that the Shamals, dont know why though.
  • Neeb - Dont waste your money, you'll be kicking yourself, and then you'll spend ages trying to convince yourself that the Shamals have that little extra ' something ' ( a higher price tag and a carbon hub fairing ) :D
  • murph - i was talking about the weight of the R1s which are more porky than the Eurus's. I've seen R1s actual weight at over 1600g. Shamals typically seem to be in the mid 1400s. So at least by the low threshold of justifying a nice upgrade, there is a significant difference ;)

strange what you say about the spokes. I'd guess the R1s are a bit less aero being so big and fat. I will say that these big alu spoke wheels handle less well in wind than thin spoked wheels, but IME it's only an issue in the mountains where it can be a bit unnerving.

BTW, not that I'm advocating an upgrade, but for the record the Shamals also have thinner spokes than the Eurus and a slightly lighter rim, so it's not just the carbon hubshell that's different.
  • 1600g !! Yikes, thats a big difference between the R1 and the Eurus, for the same money :shock:

Yeah the R1 spoke thing came as a big surprise to me, but I agree with you on the big alu spokes not being the best in the wind, what I'd give for ordinary bog standard round spokes on my Shamals :lol:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    neeb - I've tried 07 EURUS and 07 Shamal on the same bike. The EURUS rear felt stiffer, and I believe it tests as a fair bit stiffer too. If I wasn't so weight conscious I'd be on Eurus's.
    Interesting... Maybe I'll just keep the eurus until they break. They're brilliant wheels, and I can get my new bike down to 6.8kg even with the extra 100g...
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Shamal rims are Titanium and one of the nice things I have noticed is that when caught in the rain you get none of that black sludge from the rims every where.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I think they mean titanium coloured anodising. BTW Ti is much heavier than aluminium.
  • i have the eurus wheelset, and agree with the above its a stiff rim but still a decent overall weight
  • That black sludge is coming from your brake pads, try Kool Stop Salmon or Swiss Stop Green if you dont want black sludge, also much better stopping in the wet.
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Shamal rims are Titanium and one of the nice things I have noticed is that when caught in the rain you get none of that black sludge from the rims every where.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    thanks for the input chaps but now have the shamal ultra on my cx1 colnago and they are very nice they seem quieter than my fulcrum 1s cheers mark
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap