Bit of advice on upgrade

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Decided its time to upgrade the groupset and headset on my bike as they had over 8000 miles of abuse in just over a year

Got some new shifters and looking to get a 12-27 cassette and a 53/39 chainset

just wondered whever i need a short or long cage

also i was told by the guy in the shop to get

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HSF ... -2-headset

but looking and this seems much better deal, would i be able to put this on my bike

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HSF ... --1-1-8-in

I know this should prob be posted elsewhere but thought might get best answer here

thanks

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Short cage will be fine. (Taken from a Q&A on Wiggle.)

I don't attempt to understand headsets, so I'd call PX.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    cheers, i did look at the QandA on wiggle but not completely with it

lbs have a sale on and i have resisted going in but might go in and ask them tomo and hope i dont buy more rubbish

I havent forgot that chainset CJCP one finishing on ebay in a bit and hopeully get it but if not ill pm you and have the one you offered if you still have it
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Think you only need a long cage if you're fitting a 28t or higher.

No rush. I still have it and it's not going anywhere - doesn't have the BB though, so see if your LBS does a better deal just in case. (In a moment of being a bit thick, I inadvertently fitted during a late night fettling session, so it's out of the packet, so to speak, but not been used.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • andy83
    current bid is £41 on ebay and ending in less than an hour so hopefully not many bidders

managed to pick up some brand new 105 shifters for £85 so very pleased with that

I actually had a new bottom bracket fitted less than 1000 miles ago but not sure it will be compatible or not, although the bloke selling the chainset says can include bb for a tenner if needed

just need the deraillers and cassette and im all sorted
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    You should be able to use the extreme pro headset, and the sealed cartridge bearings are s definate benefit. I'd stay clear of the cheaper FSA headsets, they're a false economy in my experience
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • andy83
    cheers rich, I think ill just order it now

chainset at £41 with 5 mins to go so fingers crossed
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    What did the chainset go for in the end?

I once saw a 30 year old 531 frame (in metallic brown, no less) more than quadruple in price in last 45 minutes including a doubling in price in the last 10.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I've sold a shedload of stuff, and yeah, quadruplling in the last 30 seconds is the norm. I never bid til the closing seconds either; it just encourages others to bid more.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • *cough* Bidnapper *cough*
  • andy83
    ah well not overly fussed as hopefully having one of CJCP

i know the way it is with ebay but i didnt think id be about when it finished hence me bidding early