Newbie with new bike and new aches !

SimPick
SimPick Posts: 11
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Just joined the BikeRadar community today, so a big hello to all. A bit about me - I used to do a lot of cycling when I was younger and also built a fair few bikes, but have been away from it for many many years, and since got married and had kids and also got quite an impressive belly :( Since my younger days (now 44 years old) I discovered drinking large amounts of beer and smoking. So I decided recently it was time to get a bit fitter and go get a bike, and get my flabby backside off the sofa.
I looked into a few bikes and didn't want to spend a lot, because who knows, there's always the possibility that it could be a passing fad. I saw a Scott hybrid that looked nice, the P4 Sportster I think, but decided to keep looking around. I mainly wanted a bike for getting fit, riding on a mix of road, forest trails, gravel paths, that are nearby my home. I eventually found Cube bikes on t'internet, and thought they looked really cool and seemed to get favourable reviews. I initially looked at the Attention and Acid in local shops, but then decided to go over the border (I live in Switzerland) to Germany as the prices are very good indeed compared to the stupid prices in Switzerland.
So to cut a long story short, the bike shop didn't have an Acid in my size and were waiting for the 2011 models. But they did have a nice black LTD Comp that worked out a good bit cheaper than an Acid in Switzerland. So, I whipped out my wallet and was driving home with an LTD Comp in the back of the car in no time. And I have to say that so far I love it. Makes riding fun somehow, and I really enjoy getting out on it. Not been doing so much to start out, just about 9-10 mile rides each day to get me eased into it, and plan to go get a map of the many cycle paths around and about.

I won't post a picture like people often do, because it looks exactly like everyone black LTD Comp. Only thing I have done is add a saddle mounted small bag for bits and bobs so my pockets aren't full of keys and my phone. Also added a Sigma BC2209 computer and ordered Shimano M324 pedals - the dual sided ones where one side is clipless and the other flat. Sometime soon I will get some shoes, and that will be me done for the moment.

So, sorry for the long message, and I look forward to posting all sorts of newbie daft stuff in the future, and annoying you with silly questions.
Everyone has the right to say stupid things. But some people abuse the privilage.

Comments

• mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lol lo matey :)

damn those cubes are sexy
  • Sure are sexy. Once I saw Cubes there was only ever going to be one bike for me. Just couldn't make my mind up which one. In the end my decision was made for me, as the only one the shop had in 20" was the LTD Comp. Not that I care. Love it I do. Love it. Just hoping that its the start of a long and happy relationship.
    Everyone has the right to say stupid things. But some people abuse the privilage.
  • welcome :) hope you have fun here! nice bunch on this forum!
  • SimPick wrote:
    Sure are sexy. Once I saw Cubes there was only ever going to be one bike for me. Just couldn't make my mind up which one. In the end my decision was made for me, as the only one the shop had in 20" was the LTD Comp. Not that I care. Love it I do. Love it. Just hoping that its the start of long and happy relationship.

I mate. If you had a 20", how tall are you? I'm 6ft and was going to go for the 20" myself.

Just looking for someone guidance as to whether the 20" would be sufficient (I was worried it might be too small).

Thanks
  • Hi Rockland,

I am 6'1 or thereabouts, and the 20" is fine. In fact every bike shop I went into said that I needed 20". Feels good to ride. My only criticism is that maybe the handle bars need to be brought a tad closer, as it doesn't always feel naturally comfortable for me personally.

I think you be fine with a 20. Go and try a few. Any bigger than that and I think it would be too much.

Cheers.
  • Hello! Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy your new bike! :D