Can someone actually tell me how good this is?

MTB-NCL
MTB-NCL Posts: 49
edited September 2010 in MTB general
My Specialized rockhopper pro disc, valued at around £700 and on the specialized website around £1100.

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Thats it ^^, i got it off my uncle for free as he upgraded to a felt full suss, but i have NO clue as to how good this thing is, it rides well, has new cassettes, derailleurs, shifters and brakes. Also got the FELT tires on, anyone know, it would be interesting to know..
Specialized rockhopper Pro Disc

Comments

• Depends what you mean by good. No one will give a value estimate (it's against the rules and potentially unreliable) and I can't see how a free bike can be bad. Red ones go faster, but you can't have everything.

Rockhoppers are generally well regarded. Could be lighter, but it'll withstand some riding.
  • I know, i never said it was bad, i love it, it's my second bike, first was a GT aggressor 3.0 , so i'm not complaining, just my uncle bought the frame at £700.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a fairly old one, think it's about 2004 IIRC, the fork was a weak point.

As wordnumb says though, 'good' is very subjective, plenty of people would rip your arm off to have a bike that good, whilst others would turn their noses up at it! It's a very solid bike though, and for free you can't complain.

In range terms it's the top of the middle range of hardtails that Spesh make, but it's age does it no favours.
  • Thanks mate, i know, but i'm not gunna turn down a bike because of it's age, especially a specialized. How much could i get for this thing on ebay or something, to buy another bike??
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    Why buy another bike? This one's fine, surely?
  • I know i'm fussy like that haha!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTB-NCL wrote:
    Thanks mate, i know, but i'm not gunna turn down a bike because of it's age, especially a specialized. How much could i get for this thing on ebay or something, to buy another bike??

Put it on Ebay and find out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    MTB-NCL wrote:
    Thanks mate, i know, but i'm not gunna turn down a bike because of it's age, especially a specialized. How much could i get for this thing on ebay or something, to buy another bike??

Put it on Ebay and find out.

yup... valuation threads aren't allowed!
  • I'd have it for nowt!

Its far from being a bad bike. I'd say its fairly good, definatly a good starting point anyways.

Seeing as you got it free I'll give you 27p and my best conker.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I'd have it for nowt!

Its far from being a bad bike. I'd say its fairly good, definatly a good starting point anyways.

Seeing as you got it free I'll give you 27p and my best conker.

I raise you 33p and a melted Lidl brand Twix, plus some Haribo Marshmallows :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Its age does it no favours but its a solid bit of kit, probably worth more keeping than what you could sell it for. could probably get roughly 300+ MacDonald burgers worth (is that allowed? :P)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jadamson wrote:
    Its age does it no favours but its a solid bit of kit, probably worth more keeping than what you could sell it for. could probably get roughly 300+ MacDonald burgers worth (is that allowed? :P)

You mean botulism, or just fat?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    wordnumb wrote:
    Red ones go faster, but you can't have everything.

everyone knows white ones go faster and look cooler :lol::wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46 wrote:
    wordnumb wrote:

everyone knows Whyte ones go faster and look cooler :lol::wink:

Fixed that for you. :wink:
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    MTB-NCL wrote:
    just my uncle bought the frame at £700.

I hope you mean the cost of full bike when new, otherwise he was had. You can't really compare a 2010 model with yours as the 2010 is considerably better spec'd. Yours looks like a 2003 Comp disc rather than Pro disc.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

You probably wont get more than a couple hundred quid for it due to its age.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    It is good.
  • andy46 wrote:
    wordnumb wrote:

everyone knows Whyte ones go faster and look cooler :lol::wink:

Fixed that for you. :wink:

No. No. No.

Red ones go fastest because the rider doesn't have to worry about blood discolouring the frame. White is the slowest colour, riders need to keep stopping to wipe mud off and take photos pretending to be a stormtrooper.
  • http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2004&sid=04Rockhopper

Thats mine, I'm happy with it though, don't get me wrong.