Looking for routes in the west lothian area

mud skipper
mud skipper Posts: 24
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi Folks,

I'm getting into mtb'ing i'm in my early 40's and wish I done this sooner but better late than never.
Question is i'm looking for routes and advice for where i can start in west lothian. I seen a previous post the reply was from northwind and he advised 2 routes but you can't access the links.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15191307

that was the link so if anybody can help me out thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably best to ask in Routes, for routes, or Rides to find someone in the area to show you routes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad :wink:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Pentlands. Loads of different routes out there. Don't really know them myself but from trips out there it does seem pretty easy to just head out and find trails for yourself. Just make sure you have a phone and possible a map and compass!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah yeah, Bikehike took down the public routes in case they got sued. At a guess, my first one was to climb up to the col at Maiden's Cleugh from Harlaw rangers centre, then down the other side to Glencorse, then turn right and along the road and along Logan Burn then Green Cleugh, up past Bavelaw Castle then back round Threipmuir to the start point. Bit dull tbh but loads of diversions off it, like you can push up from Green Cleugh to lover's leap and barrel back down, or go from Marchbank House out to the Nail Trail which takes you to the west corner of Balerno...

The other one I suspect was similiar but going down Phantom's Cleugh then down Puke Hill by the singletrack then round the side of white hill plantation. That also has the downhill trails up in the west side of the plantation.

Best thing I can suggest is come to a Singletrackworld/Bikechain wednesday ride, I've been riding in the Pentlands for 20 years on and (mostly) off and those rides still take me places I don't know. Bonaly shops at 7pm most wednesday!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Example, just back from this week's and we went down a trail I didn't know and would never have even guessed was a trail, no more than 10 minutes from my house :lol: Amazing how much riding there is in tham thar hills.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Not sure about West Lothian but if you can head out a bit further West past Falkirk then there's a trail center at Carron Valley

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6P6HMZ

Not far from Denny. Went there on Sunday and can recommend it. Not as exhausting or exhilarating as Glentress say, but plenty to keep you amused.

Brad
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Not sure about West Lothian but if you can head out a bit further West past Falkirk then there's a trail center at Carron Valley

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6P6HMZ

Not far from Denny. Went there on Sunday and can recommend it. Not as exhausting or exhilarating as Glentress say, but plenty to keep you amused.

Brad
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • Carron Valley is an excellent little set of trails. I'm up there about twice a week although it helps that I'm only about a 10 min drive away. Not too far from West Lothian and well worth a visit. 8)

I've stuck a few vids up on Youtube of some recent runs, search on there for "Carron Valley Green Watch". :wink:
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • Thanks for the reply's will give both the Pentlands anf Carron Valley a shot. :wink:

As for the meets sorry can't make them as I work nights. :roll:
  • Northwind
    Carron Valley's worth a visit, some really nice bits,,, But quite a lot of less good bits. You have to do laps to make it worth the trip and Eas Dubh didn't have much appeal after 1 so I ended up just doing Pipedream and the Runway about 6 times :lol: Main problem it has is that it's almost exactly as far away as Glentress and Innerleithen from Edinburgh. Shame, it could have been so much more
    Uncompromising extremist