Gear Slipping + slightly buckled wheel

aldric
aldric Posts: 161
edited September 2010 in The workshop
I got my bike 2 weeks ago (Focus Mares Comp) and from day 1 when on the smaller of the front ring and about the 4th cog on the cassette if I put pressure on the pedals the gear slips. In fact its impossible to use it which is making things a big awkward.

Is it just a set-up issue? I have looked up indexing gears on you tube and it seems to say if the first is set up fine then they all should be.

I have also noticed that my back wheel doesn't seem to spin 100% true which means that at certain points one of the brake pads catches the rim and slows it down. I have adjusted the brakes (again) and it doesn't seem to be catching any more.

When I first got the bike I noticed the pad was rubbing and adjusted... I possibly didn't adjust it enough.

Anyway, I have only done about 100 miles on the bike and haven't really had any issues with major potholes or anything. I have had to drop down a small kerb on 3 occasions due to having to avoid a horrific roundabout.

Will dropping carefully down a small kerb buckle a wheel?

Comments

• Most new bikes need a check over after the first 100 miles or so as spokes 'bed-in' and cables 'stretch'. The shop you bought it from should offer a '6-week service', or if you're capable, go over it with a set of allen keys and spoke-key yourself.

When you first rode the bike did the spokes make lots of funny pinging noises for the first few hundred metres? I love that sound :-)
    Road wheels and especially cyclo-cross wheel can withstand a lot more than careful kerb drops, don't be shy.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Indexing won't work properly if the derailleur isn't hanging straight. If you can't fix the indexing by following the advice on the Park Tools web site or YouTube I'd consider taking the bike to a bike mechanic and getting them to check that the derailleur is parallel to the frame and that the hanger isn't bent.
    Steve C