Head pain after crash?

Phonk7
Phonk7 Posts: 178
edited September 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hi, recently (about 5 days ago) i had a little crash at my local track, i did not recieve any visible head injuries (wearing full face) but the sudden loss in momentum (must have been doing about 18 mph ish?) from burying the helmet about 3 inches into a well compacted berm may i think have caused an internal injury?
Anyway the day after the crash i started getting pains in the top right part of my head when i nod of do any sort of relativly jerky movement in my head and it has not stopped since then, i have noticed it is worse in the morning.
I dont have any other symptoms and dont really want to go to the hospital due to my inherent fear of being diagnosed with somthing bad :?
Anyone experienced somthing similar? thanks

Comments

• Place a large squishy jelly in a box, and shake it.
    That is what you have done to your brain, Head injury's can be nasty and get worse over time, if its bad enough for you to start asking on here a trip to casualty may be a wise move!

We all tend to ignore injuries and keep going, but for you to have a head ache 5 days after a crash is a bit unusual, and to be honest even I would drag my arse down to A&E at that point!
    (and as Radiographer I avoid hospitals now I no longer work there!!)
    They will probably give you the all clear, but its safer to get checked out, as occasionally the next minor fall can finish off what the previous crash started!

By the way- are your pupils the same size? and both reacting to light? (if not GO TO A&E NOW)
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • I would definitely go see accidents and emergency about that. I crashed a few weeks going about 40kmh coming through a downhill turn, and hit my head pretty hard, but was fine the next day other than a small headache, but that went away a few hours after waking up.

5 days later is something to worry about I think.
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    mobilekat wrote:
    Place a large squishy jelly in a box, and shake it.
    That is what you have done to your brain, Head injury's can be nasty and get worse over time, if its bad enough for you to start asking on here a trip to casualty may be a wise move!

We all tend to ignore injuries and keep going, but for you to have a head ache 5 days after a crash is a bit unusual, and to be honest even I would drag my ars* down to A&E at that point!
    (and as Radiographer I avoid hospitals now I no longer work there!!)
    They will probably give you the all clear, but its safer to get checked out, as occasionally the next minor fall can finish off what the previous crash started!

By the way- are your pupils the same size? and both reacting to light? (if not GO TO A&E NOW)
    Hi, no my right pupil is larger than left but i have had that for around 2 months now and the optician i saw about it said my eyes were fine having done a pressure and coloour differential test. My pupils do react to light having just checked but i dont think unless i miss a london trip on monday and reorganize a ride today that i will be able to go to A&E. The pain does decrease throughout the day and is worse in the morning, is this potentially serious enough to do somthing now or wait until tuesday? thanks
  • Hi, no my right pupil is larger than left but i have had that for around 2 months now and the optician i saw about it said my eyes were fine having done a pressure and coloour differential test. My pupils do react to light having just checked but i dont think unless i miss a london trip on monday and reorganize a ride today that i will be able to go to A&E. The pain does decrease throughout the day and is worse in the morning, is this potentially serious enough to do somthing now or wait until tuesday? thanks

I would Go to Hospital ASAP IMO, at least to stay safe, It is your health at the end of the say...
    Not only that, but Head injuries can get worse over time
    You may not be in A&E that long anyway...
  • WOW, you're scared to go to the A&E in case of brain injury, but are willingly accept you could die in bed, on the sofa, in the car....etc. Do you not care for your family?

Want to be really scared? Read about Natasha Richardson the film actress. Read the section "Injury and death" she was able to talk perfectly normally after the accident and the medics left. She died!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson

Learn from other people, and not the other way round.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • As an internet user my advice would be not to rely on the advice of other internet users to diagnose head injuries. Doctors recieve years of intense education and training for a reason. All the posters above have given you the best advice you could ask for from a forum.