Mystery climb from Loch Lomond

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
I seem to have found a pretty steep climb:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/456911

Gains ~350 m in only 2 km, starting from what looks (by Google Maps satellite view) like a couple of old farmhouse buildings on the eastern shore of Loch Lomond, just north of Tarbet. Could be an interesting ride from Aberfoyle and back.

Anyone familiar with this one?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    It's been a while since I spent a lot of time in that part of the world (lived in Helensburgh for 11 years) but I'm not aware of any tarmaced road between Rowardennan and Inversnaid. Is it not a dirt track?
  • If it is the track i think it is it is a fireroad landrover track, I did it a couple of years ago from aberfoyle it is mountain bike country and if you can cycle up it from the loch side you are mega fit I suffered major brake fade on my disk brakes coming down it.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yeah, on full zoom with satellite view it probably looks more like a dirt track than a tarmac road. Would be epic on a 'cross bike!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • On my 25k map it shows as a dirt/landrover track through Gleann Gaoithe reaching Cailness on the shore of the Loch Lomond. Looks like a monster trek just to get there! Might be do-able on a cyclocross bike, definitely on a MTB.

I've walked on the hill (Cruinn a'Bheinn) to the south of the track but can't remember seeing any traffic.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4