Shipping a bike to the UK from Ireland

purist
purist Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I'd like to ship my bike to the UK from Dublin. I'd think of posting or putting it on the plane with me when I fly over but it's an expensive bit of kit and I'm scared that it'll get lost or stolen. Anyone aware of decent agreed value insurance or of a reliable carrier that won't cost the earth or of the other option that everyone else uses but I'm completely unaware of?

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    purist wrote:
    I'd like to ship my bike to the UK from Dublin. I'd think of posting or putting it on the plane with me when I fly over but it's an expensive bit of kit and I'm scared that it'll get lost or stolen. Anyone aware of decent agreed value insurance or of a reliable carrier that won't cost the earth or of the other option that everyone else uses but I'm completely unaware of?

Where do you live in the UK? You could always get the ferry as a foot passenger as I dont think you pay any extra for a bike.
  • Why not just put it in a bike box and ship by parcelforce?

Works for CRC.

Should cost about £25 max.
  • I'm in Bristol but if anything went wrong (and when doesn't it?) the trip could take longer than the weekend and with no holidays available it would be a bit tight.
    I like the idea though.

I'd ship it by post (actually coming from Ireland it's about €60) but I've had things get lost before and trust them as far as I could spit a rat.

If I can't find decent insurance I might try putting it on Ryanair. I did it once with a frame and it worked but again I lack trust. I can just imagine some gimp thinking "Ooooh, shiny" and walking off with it or just parking it under the wheel of a truck.
    Perhaps I'm just not a trusting soul :)
  • €60 ? Really?

I've got no reason to doubt you, but I've had quite a few things from Ireland before (including a full-on 45lb DH bike), all shipped through ParcelForce, all insured, and all delivered withing the 48hrs specified. Price was never mentioned though, they just did it.

I really do think that's really your best option.