Did I do the right thing in buying this bike?

ductions
ductions Posts: 274
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi, new here, and fairly new to commuting .I got fed up with my old mountain bike so I decided to hunt down a hybrid bike with a student budget of £250

After a long time of searching ebay and classifieds I found this bike for a buy it now price of £150, and have committed to buy it.

I can't find any information about the bike on the internet, but I hear Claud Butler are a decent brand.

Did I get a bit of a bargain for £150? Or am I going to be disappointed?

I guess really I'll just have to wait and see really. But considering I still have £100 left of my budget, which I can spend on new helmet, lights, lock, I think I did alright.

EDIT: Also, are there any upgrades you'd recommend for a 5 year old bike?

Comments

• gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    I might be wrong but I think THIS might be your bike with relevant info.
  • gs3 wrote:
    I might be wrong but I think THIS might be your bike with relevant info.

Oh awesome thanks. I did look on the Falcon website but couldn't find it myself!
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I'm not sure if the bike above is the one you've bought, as specs do change over 5 years but from the pictures it looks very tidy and I doubt if you have been ripped off at £150. Probably doesn't need any upgrades although you may want to change the saddle depending upon your preferences (some people like wider saddles, some like narrow). The seller says the bike has been recently serviced but you may want to check chain wear, although I suspect that won't be a problem somehow.

With your spare cash buy a decent lock and a track pump.
    Steve C
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    ductions
    This IS the bike you have. The specs are on a pdf file at the bottom of the page.

I agree with sc999cs in that you should consider a saddle swap and definitely check the drive chain otherwise - excellent purchase!! :D
  • gs3 wrote:
    ductions
    This IS the bike you have. The specs are on a pdf file at the bottom of the page.

I agree with sc999cs in that you should consider a saddle swap and definitely check the drive chain otherwise - excellent purchase!! :D

The fact the bike is 5 years old doesn't matter too much does it? I mean as long as its been well looked after, it should be fine?
  • ductions wrote:
    gs3 wrote:
    ductions

The fact the bike is 5 years old doesn't matter too much does it? I mean as long as its been well looked after, it should be fine?

Correct.

It could be 2 months' old and in terrible condition if treated badly.
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • gs3 wrote:
    ductions
    and definitely check the drive chain otherwise - excellent purchase!! :D

I obviously didn't check the chain properly, as it just snapped on my way home!
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    ductions wrote:
    gs3 wrote:
    ductions
    and definitely check the drive chain otherwise - excellent purchase!! :D

I obviously didn't check the chain properly, as it just snapped on my way home!

:( Hope you had a chain tool? Now might be a good time to tell you about power links

Do you know why it snapped? Did it come off the chain rings and get caught between the frame and drive chain? If that was the cause take a look at Park Tools web site for advice on setting things up properly.
    Steve C