A question for the laydeez

Rich158
Rich158 Posts: 2,348
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
As has been documented on another thread a certain boffin, who shall remain nameless, put me up to becoming a shaven legged roadie!

Now this has left me with a couple of questions

- my leg hair seems to be growing at about 10 times the speed of my facial hair. Given I only shave my face once a week I'd assumed I'd get away with the same on my legs. I'm now veeting at least twice a week, surely it should last a little longer

- have I now condemned myself to an eternity of itchy regrowth. The itching does stop right

- what's the best post shave moisturiser, do you girls have something special or is good old brut the answer :wink:

Sorry for the questions but being the only roadie in an all male household I've nowhere else to turn :cry:
pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2

Comments

• I just shave my legs every 2 or 3 days in the shower, takes 3 or 4 minutes, job done. No itchy regrowth, no moisturiser. Been doing that for 5 or 6 years. My legs look fantastic :wink:
  • Depends on how long they grow. I shave my legs once a week also, but then I've been doing it for so long that they don't grow as fast as they used to. Some call it age, I call it good shaving creams! :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I don't care about the itching, the pus filled angry red spots however are somewhat more concerning.

Tea tree oil is helping i little :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Hmmm I thought a cream was meant to last longer, looks like it'll be the razor in the shower from now on. Much less fuss and no accidental over run!!! I have a terrible habit of getting the cream everywhere. So far I've managed to avoid my head but it's only a matter of time :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Cream is supposed to last longer since it dissolves the hair slightly further down than skin level unlike shaving which just takes it off at skin level. But shaving is much quicker and easier to maintain although you need to be careful of ingrowing hairs (little raised red bits). Good vigorous rubdown helps with that and any old moisturiser.

The 'longlasting' way to remove hair on your legs (and definitely reduced regrowth) is to epilate them - by waxing or using an epilator. That gives you several weeks with no growth but it hurts - waxing less than epilator. The hot wax going on is quite pleasant...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    itboffin wrote:
    I don't care about the itching, the pus filled angry red spots however are somewhat more concerning.

Tea tree oil is helping i little :evil:

DoubleFacePalm.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shaving only lasts a couple of days for me...really depends on how fast yr hair grows back. I've never noticed a slowing down of hair growth over the years!
    +1 for epilating...definitely painful but lasts longer than shaving by a long way. best way to avoid a full on pain session is to epilate about once a week to get the odd few that are growing back...never leave it for long...which I usually do and hence have to go through the pain thing again.
    waxing is a good alternative, personally can't be bothered as shaving is virtually free in comparison.
    never had much luck with creams
    angry red spots....maybe you need to exfoliate before shaving...sounds like ingrowing hairs.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    shaving only lasts a couple of days for me so even if I go away for a weekend I have to pack a razor so I can shave my legs. Veet and such like do nothing and don't work at all. Waxing...well too much of a wuss for that.

You get used to the regrowth and the slight itching that comes with it, you just use the next shower as an oppertunity to keep on top of the shaving issue.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Rich158
    I thought the epilation question might come up. I remember the epilator my ex had, there's no way that fecking thing is going anywhere near my legs :shock:

Thanks for sharing you angry red puss filled blotches with us ITB, it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing your legs are in a worse state than mine :D

Revised FCN - 2
  • Just what advatage do you gain for cycling, by shaving your legs?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Zachariah wrote:
    Just what advatage do you gain for cycling, by shaving your legs?

None really, it's just the stuff of legend.

As a first aider it is useful to me as it make cleaning wounds like road rash easier.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Rich158
    Zachariah wrote:

None at all, it's all about image :wink: Only serious roadies shave, it looks and feels good, and as ITB pointed out, the laydeeez love it :D

Revised FCN - 2
  • The best way to avoid ingrown hairs is to ditch the multi-blade, and kick it old school with a quality double-edge razor:

R-89_3.jpg

Blades are much cheaper too, and the difference in comfort is astounding. That said, I only have experience of shaving my face, so your milage may definitely vary.
  • Rich158 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

None at all, it's all about image :wink: Only serious roadies shave, it looks and feels good, and as ITB pointed out, the laydeee-boyz love it :D

I think you missed out a few letters...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I just shave my legs every 2 or 3 days in the shower, takes 3 or 4 minutes, job done. No itchy regrowth, no moisturiser. Been doing that for 5 or 6 years. My legs look fantastic, for girls legs

Fixed that for you.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    prj45 wrote:
    I just shave my legs every 2 or 3 days in the shower, takes 3 or 4 minutes, job done. No itchy regrowth, no moisturiser. Been doing that for 5 or 6 years. My legs look fantastic, for girl's legs

Fixed that for you.
  • Rich158
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

None at all, it's all about image :wink: Only serious roadies shave, it looks and feels good, and as ITB pointed out, the laydeee-boyz love it :D

Is that your experience old man :wink: I couldn't comment myself

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

Boarding school no doubt :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    itboffin wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

Boarding school no doubt :wink:

I didn't realise they had them at boarding school, they must have had them flown in specially

Revised FCN - 2
  • Veeting twice a week will cost you a fortune in veet. Shaving is about as effective, and if veet is giving you skin issues then you should probably avoid waxing and epilating.

Just let it grow back.

ITB, you need to exfoliate, how many times do I have to tell you?
  • Or adults could just keep the adult hair that adults are supposed to have so they look like adults.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    stickman wrote:
    Or adults could just keep the adult hair that adults are supposed to have so they look like adults.
    Riiiiight. How long is your beard?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin

Just let it grow back.

ITB, you need to exfoliate, how many times do I have to tell you?

I am I am

apart from the lumpy bits the rest of my legs are very smooth and soft :roll:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Distinct lack of laydeez contributing to this thread compared to men......

Huh, look at that!
    Measuring a system means that the system is changed.......
  • Rich158
    Just let it grow back

And admit defeat :shock: Anyway I'm just about to adjust my FCN, I can't go back now :wink:

Anyway I quite like the contradiction of being a hardcore DH mountain biker and a shaved leg roadie

Revised FCN - 2