Winter kit recommendations

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
After my tattoo thread over in cake stop ended up with Nazi accusations I thought it would be wise to go for a safer topic.

Withe the depressing thought that next month it is going to start getting colder I decided I am going to get prepared with all the right kit. I thought this could be a thread to discuss specific winter kit recommendations. What have you got or are getting or thinking about getting and have you any tips or bargains for us all?

My 1st main purchase will be a pair of Shutt VR bib tights which, if anything like the pro shorts will be exceptional. Anyone tried these already? Also, has anyone any tips for overshoes?

Ben

Comments

• I considered overshoes, and then reasoned that I would do better buying some dedicated winter boots (Shimano MW80s, but any warm, water resistant boots would do). More expensive in the short term, but I do not regret that decision. Dry and toasty toes make the winter so much less gruelling.

Buy early - for some reason stocks of winter boots seem to dry up by mid-November.
  • I'm about to buy a Lusso Aqua jacket as shower season approaches, but in a month I'll supplement that with waterproof overtrousers, and a road-crew style padded waterproof high-vis donkey jacket for when the cold comes. Maybe even overshoes.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Overshoes are a must for me, I tend to use the thick neoprene MTB ones, they keep my feet nice and toasty no matter how wet they get. I'd also recommend a decent base layer, again no matter how wet I get a good technical base layer will always keep me warm
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Overshoes though seem to wear out very quickly if you walk anywhere in them. I had to walk about 50m into my office each day and my overshoes lasted less than three months. I now use Sealskinz waterproof socks and thermal socks. If it rains I stuff the shoes full of newspaper when I get home. (Doesn't work very well if it rains on the way to work...)

Definitely recommend good waterproof winter gloves. I again use Sealskinz gloves (can't remember specific model) with thermal under gloves when it is really cold.

Then of course there is the obligatory buff either as a head cosy and ear warmer under a helmet (if you wear one) or as a scarf.
    Steve C
  • :oops: I must admit the last couple of seasons I've signed up toTeam Aldi , cheap & not too nasty. I have the feeling that cyclists sometimes don't always get what they pay for. Hmmm.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Overshoes for me too. I've got the Altura road ones and they're much easier to get on and off than the neoprene ones. I had a set of them for a few weeks but putting them on/taking them off twice a day shredded them :(

Coupled with some warm socks they do for me
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    LewisKit baselayers - fantastic, VG VFM too.
    Gore Phantom jacket - *awesome* bit of kit
    Alternative jacket: Altura Night Vision
    Sugoi fleeced-lined running tights - legs never get cold
    Normal bib shorts
    Assos thermal skull cap - also *awesome*

Overshoes: also an issue here. Not going for the Endura road versions again - fell apart after a few weeks.

Gloves: looking back, my hands got a bit too cold for comfort last winter. I used a layering system from LewisKit, which is wearing out anyway, so I'm going to get something very toasty this year. Assos maybe.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    After my tattoo thread over in cake stop ended up with Nazi accusations I thought it would be wise to go for a safer topic.

Ben

SPD jackboots, a good grey trenchcoat and a new cycling helmet, maybe a metal one with a little eagle on it and a spike on the top :wink:

I go down the waterproof socks route but would recommend layering the gloves if you're going to be riding throughout the winter. I ended upo with skiing gloves and wooly liners when it got really cold.

I'm winging it on the clothes I've got, enough layers makes warm and I've still got life in my altura waterproof jacket, but am looking to buy some studded tyres next payday ready for the slippy time. I left it late last year and couldn't get any.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    cjcp wrote:
    Overshoes: also an issue here. Not going for the Endura road versions again - fell apart after a few weeks.

Yup, it was Endura's for me too. I'm now avoiding them like the plague
    cjcp wrote:
    Gloves: looking back, my hands got a bit too cold for comfort last winter. I used a layering system from LewisKit, which is wearing out anyway, so I'm going to get something very toasty this year. Assos maybe.

Got some Gore ones last winter. They saw me through the fun and games that was Jan-March and are nice'n'dry in the wet
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Got some Gore ones last winter. They saw me through the fun and games that was Jan-March and are nice'n'dry in the wet

Cheers!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Cheers!
    Hmm, sounds like Endura changed the construction of those overshoes. IIRC Lit also bought some and they didn't last either. Mine, bought a couple of winters ago, have stood up reasonably well. Probably won't replace with like for like...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides