Bob Jackson Bikes

Deploderer
Deploderer Posts: 13
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any experience of Bob Jackson's bikes?

After a motorcycle accident I am no longer able to run marathons and so I've decided to get into cycling again. Although I am currently unable to walk without sticks my aim is to do the Morcambe to Brid coast 2 coast this time next year.

I live a few miles from Bob Jacksons in Leeds and realy fancy one of their bikes but have been unable to find any reviews anywhere.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I've dealt with them when I had a respray and again when buying a few bits. Very efficient indeed and a friendly lot. One of the guys who works there (kirky) is a long time contributor (and moderator) on the timetrialling forum so it might be worth pm-ing him on there if you are a member.
  • I just bought a semi-custom build from them last year (off the peg audax frame geometry built with 853 steel). I'm in the US and only communicated by email so I'm sure visiting the shop would get you more attention to your needs. The wait was promised at about 6 months for the frame and was delivered on time. The workmanship isn't the best of the best. The brazing on the lugs could have been a little cleaner from what I could see and the seat tube needed reaming before it could be used due to a blob of brazing material inside the tube at the clamp lug. Having said that, from my experience you'll only get better detail from the very best, usually more expensive builders so for the price I paid I'm very pleased. The ride quality is great and I suspect wouldn't be any different if the brazing had been done with more care. The paint was good quality and they can do just about any combo you like. I went with BJ because for the same quality, I paid about half including shipping, of what it would cost for the same frame in the US. Overall I'm very happy with my frame. There are builders that are better but not at the prices BJ charges and you may or may not notice any difference in ride quality. Figure on paying the LBS to possibly have to face the headtube and BB shells, ream the seat tube and check for alignment (normal for steel frames) although maybe BJ offers this service too. I've only met 3 people here who have owned a BJ and all were very happy with their bikes. Their Off The Peg frames look like one of the best bargains around for steel if you want to go that route.
  • Deploderer wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience of Bob Jackson's bikes?

After a motorcycle accident I am no longer able to run marathons and so I've decided to get into cycling again. Although I am currently unable to walk without sticks my aim is to do the Morcambe to Brid coast 2 coast this time next year.

I live a few miles from Bob Jacksons in Leeds and realy fancy one of their bikes but have been unable to find any reviews anywhere.

Thoughts anyone?

Have you had a look at Woodrup on Kirkstall Road as well?
  • I have two BJ's - Vigorelli fixed, and a Audax "end to end" built with 105 - both are great bikes.

I can highly recommend them - call in and speak to Paul Kirk.

Pete.
  • Thanks fellas.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You can't go abbreviating Bob jackson to B.J. :shock:

You might not get what you were expecting!