Puncture nightmare today- why?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Bike about six weeks old. Done 600-ish miles no problems.

On a normal flat path at average speed (having done about 7 miles) the rear wheel went bang and instantly deflated.

After all sorts of nightmares with my spare tube (it punctured and valve snapped) I ended up with the original tube back in and patched. There was a hole of about 1mm in there-far bigger than you'd normally get from a thorn or suchlike- no sign of any issues with rim/tyre.

Cycled the remaining 6 or so miles to work no problem. Later made sure it was well pumped up.

On the way home (done about 7 miles again) on flat path at a unspectacular speed there was a whoosh and the tyre deflated again.

I checked everything very thoroughly - there is nothing up with the rim and the rim tape definitely hasn't had a spoke go through it. Nothing embedded in the tyre either.

The hole (which looked like a very small tear) was about an inch away from the previous hole albeit higher up on the line of the tube.

I rode the 7 miles or so back home (pretty bumpy) and it was fine.

To top it off whilst I was dealing with these punctures I got bitten by numerous insects and my arms and legs are swollen and painful :cry:

I'm at a loss as to what's happened since nothing has changed since I rode the bike just fine on Wednesday. Help....I really don't fancy the next commute with the feeling the tyre could suddenly deflat on me on a junction

Any bright ideas?