Team Sky Dogma

stokey1964
stokey1964 Posts: 454
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
My mate has one and is looking to sell as he needs a loft extension to his house.

Its only 3 months old with full 7900 (not DI-2) and Dura-ace 50mm carbon clinchers.

The bars are exactly as the Team use which i believe are Deda 100, not as offered on the standard package.

He has offered it to me for 6K

do you think its worth it at that price. Its a lot of money but seems a fair price comapred to the standard offerings.

Just cant decide if I want to spend that sort of money

any advice offered appreciated

Simon

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    How much did he pay for it? Offer him 60% of that.
    More problems but still living....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd only go to 50% of the cost. Its not worth 6k. And that depends upon it fitting you properly and you actually liking the bike.

You'd not notice an appreciable difference riding that over say a £1500 bike - apart from people gathering round it at the cafe stop.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    If I was spending £6k on a bike, I'd be sure as hell making sure it fitted me like a glove....
  • Thats what Im thinking

I recogn he probably paid about between 8 and 8.5k for it with the upgraded bars, stem and wheels

I already have a Pinarello so I know that I wouldnt notice much difference between this and mine, suppose Im just dreaming

Simon
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Merlin are doing the 50mm clincher wheelset at under £900 and the 7900 groupset for £1050 with pretty much every combi of chainset and rear block your could require. So you could get the exact gear ratios and chainset etc for you for £2,000. Allow £500 for finishing kit (saddle, bars, pedals etc) that leaves you £3,500 for the frame - which is second hand (has the warranty been activated ?) and may or may not fit you.

Seems a lot for a bike that has already been ridden and which is not being prepared to your own spec.
  • cougie
    Oh just noticed its not even the DI2 ! http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... gn=froogle

Looks like he's giving a 10% discount ish....
  • Mccaria wrote:
    Merlin are doing the 50mm clincher wheelset at under £900 and the 7900 groupset for £1050 with pretty much every combi of chainset and rear block your could require. So you could get the exact gear ratios and chainset etc for you for £2,000. Allow £500 for finishing kit (saddle, bars, pedals etc) that leaves you £3,500 for the frame - which is second hand (has the warranty been activated ?) and may or may not fit you.

Seems a lot for a bike that has already been ridden and which is not being prepared to your own spec.

Based on that then I recogn its only worth about 5k at the most then
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    If he manages to sell it for more than £3k I'd be surprised.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Same frame and fork for sale in Cycling Weekly at £2850.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I don't know enough about the price/ride of the Pinarello (put off by the wavy fork purely for reason of aesthetics) but I specced up a Colnago EPS with the same wheelset and groupset for between £5-5.5k depending upon exact finishing kit. New bike, built to my specifications and my choice of components down to the last widget.

I would certainly check that you can be the named purchaser on the warranty - if it has already been registered in his name then that would be a concern (or at least have price implications)
  • Think you are all right

stop dreaming and get back to riding

Simon
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's not worth 6k, possibly half that.
  • cougie
    I'd MUCH rather have a bike than a loft extension anyway. He may as well keep it !

He could try on the Team Sky Facebook page ? Maybe a fanboy would pay over the odds for it ?
  • I know what you are saying, just that the frameset retails for 3.5k alone

Ive always wanted a Prince, Paris or Super Leonardo, BUT with what Ive seen on ebay and new bargains at Merlin etc I could build a new one for about 4K, same spec as his

My pinarello is the Marvel, Alu and Carbon and Ive always wanted a full carbon version since the wife overtook me and had her F4:13 with full DA

Simon
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    stokey1964 wrote:
    I know what you are saying, just that the frameset retails for 3.5k alone

Ive always wanted a Prince, Paris or Super Leonardo, BUT with what Ive seen on ebay and new bargains at Merlin etc I could build a new one for about 4K, same spec as his

My pinarello is the Marvel, Alu and Carbon and Ive always wanted a full carbon version since the wife overtook me and had her F4:13 with full DA

Simon

I think she owes you one by the sounds of that.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • "I think she owes you one by the sounds of that."

I think you are right there
  • Save your money mate, and pay for your ski trip in december instead. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd say 3.5k.

It's a used bike.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    stokey1964 wrote:
    I know what you are saying, just that the frameset retails for 3.5k alone

Simon
    yes when it was new. Your mate is just trying to get as much as possible for it obviously, not coming down on the prices he paid new/
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    What sort of mate is he? 6K seems ridiculous, and an awful lot. I would want to see receipts (for warranty of course) and see how much it really cost? Surely he can't get more than 4K for it? If he thinks he can sell it for 6K let him, but don't be the Muppet who pays that much.

IMO, if I had 6K I'd buy a new bike and spec to my requirements, not my mates?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/