Awesome Website

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
This was sent to me by a work colleague and its brilliant 8)

You may need to download google chrome to have it run at its' best but that is a small price to pay - you can delete it afterwards anyway. Works on Safari well too

Entirely safe for work but you need speakers for the music which compliments it.

So, enjoy...

8)

http://thewildernessdowntown.com/

Comments

• That is fantastic. I found it quite moving actually.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    +1, and some more.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Just sticks at 44% load up.
  • I love Arcade Fire. Got tickets to see them at O2 in Dec :)
  • Sewinman wrote:

what browser? webcore based is suggested so chrome/safari though plenty more.

very fun site, though doesn't get close enough for myself. I grew up some distance from the nearest village let alone town. hell my folks place is some distance from roads...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I nearly blubbed!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    rmhodv wrote:
    I love Arcade Fire. Got tickets to see them at O2 in Dec :)
    I'd have got tickets as well but O2 is a bit... meh.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    _Brun_ wrote:
    rmhodv wrote:
    I love Arcade Fire. Got tickets to see them at O2 in Dec :)
    I'd have got tickets as well but O2 is a bit... meh.

as a massive venue it's pretty good musicwise, but all big venues suck the big one imo

£££££££££££££ and you get surrounded by wankers
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Sewinman wrote:

needs an HTML5 compliant browser
  • WTF?

Am I missing something here? Slightly shoddy street view imagery, mildly irritating music and some CGI of a bloke running and some birds? And some text that grows branches?

What's so good about it?

There were trees blasting out of all the parks.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Sheesh, has that hangover not gone yet?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • :lol:

It's been fine since I gave it a couple of beers at lunchtime... but seriously, I don't get what's so good about this website!

Maybe if I had stronger attachment to the places we lived when I was a kid. Or if I liked the music. Or really appreciated bird silhouettes...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    For me, the combined images of running and streets from my childhood invoked a sense of nostalgia and memories of times long gone.

Of course, if you grew up with memories of being thrown into a swimming pool, it may not have the same effect... :wink:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    :lol:

.. but seriously, I don't get what's so good about this website!

Yup.

Definitely suffering from "meh!-ness
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    He's not to bright, the silly sod stopped running right in the middle of a cross junction in my street.

Now if he had been on a bike then maybe i'd have more sympathy for him. :P
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Nah, that's a big Meh! from me!
  • what browser? webcore based is suggested so chrome/safari though plenty more.

Worked okay for me in Firefox, I'm afraid I'm pretty firmly in the "meh" camp though. I guess you need to be an Arcade Fire fan to really appreciate it.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • It's intended as a demo for the Chrome browser, so if you have an understanding of web technology (HTML5, CSS3 etc) it's extremely impressive.

Peeps on here are not really it's target audience so I'm not surprised at the responses!
    BMC Pro Machine | Ribble Gran Fondo | Planet-X SL Pro Carbon | Specialized Langster 2008 | Ribble Winter Sloping | Trek 8000 | Onza Blade 2009

My site » AssosFables :: Assos news & reviews
  • Nice concept and the tune is pretty fitting to the chappy running.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had a look and tbh the incongruouity of the chap purporting to run in the dark in one shot and through my old village in daylight alongside, and then spinning round outside the Methodist Chapel when FFS there's a perfectly decent pub another 100 yards up the road, just didn't do it for me. And those birds? What?

I get the idea that we're supposed to be impressed at clever use of HTML5 and CSS3, but however you dress it up it's still the dog on That's Life saying "sausages" in the end. Vaguely amusing but pointless. A bit like SC Stats I expect. :idea:

Next.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Technically quite good. Interesting or artistic, meh.

Disclaimer: I am completely unqualified to comment on anything's artistic merits.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo