CYCLISTS ARE 'SOCIAL MISFITS AND UNHAPPY', CLAIMS STUDY

jimmypippa
jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
In the Express.

or not
Cyclists! The public thinks you're cool and normal

New research shows motorists no longer consider cyclists weirdy beardy Guardian readers – in fact, they envy us
In the Guardian

I know which version of the report I think is more accurate:

The one where the person carrying out the study pointed out the Express as bad reporting:
alantapp

1 September 2010 2:15PM

Overall I think the research was genuinely heartening for cyclists - lets face it 10 or 20 years ago we would never have had nearly half the population thinking "cycling is cool nowadays".

Our research team is trying to help develop pro-cycling marketing ideas designed to be used by advertisers to promote the positive feelings around cycling - things like freedom, stress busting, the joy of being outdoors etc are coming up a lot.

Any ideas welcome.

Changing the subject it was interesting to see the completely negative spin put on my press release - the same one which led to Helen's excellent article above - by the Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/196766/Cyclists-are-social-misfits-and-unhappy-claims-study

A classic case study of press spin.

Alan
Here is the press release

The express missed out the bit "seen as" and didn't realise that the study was asking whether cyclist were seen as social misfits, not stating that they were either eseen as social misfits or were actual misfits:
Professor Tapp comments, “We wanted to find out if cycling is still the 'poor man's transport' populated by badly dressed social misfits muttering about gear ratios, or a fashionable activity of good looking people who rock up to the office with the latest carbon frame. We asked questions about how congestion, global warming and ever rising fuel prices might persuade us out of our cars and back onto two wheels.

Comments