Glasgow / Edinburgh people

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for some advice on getting dropped off then picked up during the pedal for scotland day.

Is it easy enough to get right to the parks where the start and finish is or should I instruct Father to stop a few streets away and cycle there.

Comments

• Just reminded me to sign up for this trip. Leaves from Glasgow green which is quite a large park. You can get the car up to the park perimeter, though I guess it will depend on arrival time. I think the route is north of the green so you would need to be droped off on the south side.

Even better idea is get dropped on the Clydeside, off the M8 before it goes over the Kingston Bridge, turn right at the lights and its a few minutes ride to get to the green.

Jim
    Trek 1.5 Triple 2011 Black
    GT Avalanche 1 MTB 2007 Steel Blue
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Should be good at Victoria Park in Edinburgh as well.

Its on the north side of the city, at the back of ferry road, so parking should be OK. Loads of side streets. You may have to pay for parking in pay and display parking bays, but there should be plenty of them....remember as well...the time difference between the first and last finishers is potentially in hours...so although everyone starts at about the same time...not everyone finishes at the same time!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • suzyb
    I'm coming in from the south side of Glasgow so would be coming along the M74 -> London Road. Just wanted to check there wouldn't be traffic chaos / no parking at the parks because of the event. Father has enough of a problem with road rage on quieter country roads never mind busy city streets.

Coming in from the south side of Edinburgh though so that will be a bit of a trek across the city :( Going to have to set the sat nav and give Father some very good instructions on where to go.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    IMHO The Edinburgh end of things has always been an absolute nightmare parking wise.
    Even better idea is get dropped on the Clydeside, off the M8 before it goes over the Kingston Bridge, turn right at the lights and its a few minutes ride to get to the green.

LEFT... TURN LEFT after coming off the west bound M8 at Anderston. Better still come off at the cathedral and roll down High Street / Saltmarket.

Good luck & enjoy.
  • I did this last year. The streets around Victoria park get pretty busy and there's not alot of parking at the best of times. Try getting picked up from the bottom of Craighall road or even Ocean Terminal (loads of parking and only a mile or so away)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Alan A wrote:
    IMHO The Edinburgh end of things has always been an absolute nightmare parking wise.

LEFT... TURN LEFT after coming off the west bound M8 at Anderston. Better still come off at the cathedral and roll down High Street / Saltmarket.

Good luck & enjoy.

Directions :oops:
  • suzyb
    Thanks crofter :)

Sending Father to Ocean Terminal sounds like a good idea as he'll be able to park up and get something to eat/drink whilst waiting for me.
  • Well, its almost time, need to go easy on the wine saturday night. Up sharp for an early start on Sunday. :D
  • suzyb
    Well, its almost time, need to go easy on the wine saturday night. Up sharp for an early start on Sunday. :D
    Yep :D

Saw some signs on part of the road. Some "Caution Cyclists" signs at the entry roads of a roundabout and the big arrow pointing the way for us riders.

I'm quite looking forward to this now, after being a bit apprehensive last week when the wind was blowing from the east. This week a nice westerly wind is forecast so we'll get a nice tailwind.
  • Good luck to all. I'll be away this weekend, otherwise I might have given it a go. Loved the story from last year where at the foot of a hill there was a bloke with a huge Alsatian saying, "If yous look like yer struggling, I'll let him off the lead"